Sealing and grouting slate hearth slab.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I have the slate for my hearth from reclamation yard (lime slate I think they called it) and am in the process of cutting it into three pieces. One large for the back and two for the front. The thickness and measurements will all be compliant for the HETAS guys fitting the stove in a couple of weeks. My question is what do I use to seal the slate and give it that darker almost black look. Prefer it not to be too shiny as well. The research I’ve done so far keeps giving contradicting answers so anything on here would be welcome including brand names and where to buy (prefer an answer other than ‘slate sealant will do’ ;). My other question is what do I add between the three pieces to seal.

Ordinary grey coloured grout - will this just crack with heat and expansion?
Matt Grey sealant – would this help with expansion of the hearth if there is any at all. I know the stoves get very hot but unsure about the hearth. If so would normal sealant be ok or should I try for a heat proof one. From what I’ve looked at they pretty much are all heat resistant to an extent.

Oh and what do i use to secure the slate it to my cement base. Cement is new btw.

As usual any answers welcomed and thanks for your time.

:?:

Sponsored Links
We had a hearth put in made from grey slate paving slabs a month or so ago.

The guy that installed it used linseed oil to bring up the slate, and advised to do it again in a week or 2. The cut edges needed another go to keep them as dark as the top surface. It'll look a bit shiny initially but it soon soaks in, leaving matt, dark grey/black finish. Use the linseed oil sparingly, and use a lint free cloth. We bought a small bottle of the oil in B&Q

I didn't notice what grout he used so can't help you there.

50/50....
Boiled linseed oil and white spirits....

Most flex floor grouts will do as well.....well a good recommended mfr...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back