Do I need to seal slate tiles if they're in a hearth ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought some slates to tile my hearth with, the fire that will go in it is only electric and there won't be any water near it to leave water marks etc...

The guy in topps tiles said something about the grout and adhesive soaking into the slates though so it would need to be sealed. Is he right ? If so what should I use to seal ?

Sponsored Links
I have just bought the same 30 x 30 slate tiles and on the same advice from topps tiles bought a sealer in order to allow the grout to not stain the slate or in his words 'not be a bugger to get off'. He also offered a enhancer to darken the slate, which I may buy also.
Good deal on the slate mind 1.79 each and only one dodgy one in the four packs I purchased!

yes you must seal your slate mate, otherwise its not just grout that could stain it. A colour enhancer works by bringing the colours of the slate through, no need for it on a hearth. If you are not very confident about tiling, personally i would seal the faces and edges of the tiles before you start laying them, too much adhesive and it could get onto the face of the tiles and stain them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back