How do I unseal sealed slate to remove grout stains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, this is my first time onto the forum and was hoping to benefit from your expert tiling advice for a problem which is causing me great frustration when I should be enjoying our bathroom in my pregnant state! :(

My fitter has laid slate tiles in our bathroom. Despite urging him to pre seal them prior to fitting (Topps tiles recommendation) and grouting them he informed me this was needed. On returning from a short break, he had cleaned the tiles and sealed them, however, a cloudy residue remains on the tiles and evidence of grout remains on ridges of the tiles. It also seems the tiles have not been sealed properly as water stains remain on the tiles when spilled.

The products used to clean and seal the tiles were FILA- I have tried contacting them to no avail.

Q's are as follows:

My understanding is that I need to 'unseal the tiles' so I can scrub the grout (grout/cloud does not appear to come off now sealed). What products do you suggest I use?

What is the best way to scrub at the tiles once unsealed in order not to cause damage to tiles?

Finally, how do I go about sealing the tiles properly once thoroughly cleaned?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back