Grouting a slate floor

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hello

Any tips on grouting a slate floor? I've previously done my whole bathroom walls/floor in porcelain and it looks great thanks to the tips on here. It was a job getting all the grout off until I found using a dry cloth sooo much easier - doh. Of course these tiles were glazed so I was in no danger of permanent grout stains.

I've now got slate tiles laid on the kitchen floor. Sealed with LTP mattstone and look great at the moment ready to grout. With the sealing done, do I really need to be as scared as I am of being unable to remove cloudy grout stains? Of course I'll try and keep to the lines as much as possible rather than spreading the grout everywhere like icing a cake like I did in the bathroom. I'm even considering masking every tile - pointless paranoid overkill or sensible? Shall I just get on with it?

Any advice appreciated.

Liam

Sponsored Links
im thinking you mean sealed pre tile?

ok, before you grout seal again, and grout away, be as messy as you like as lon as you clean it up it wont matter, its when you leave it on there that its more difficult to remove even if sealed.

then when done wash down and clean them thoroughly then when they are dry seal again for good measure.

Sorry - reading that back I wasn't very clear. I've laid the slate tiles on my kitchen floor, and have cleaned them and sealed them with the Mattstone. I didn't actually seal before laying as I stoopidly forgot to come on here and look for slate specific advice before starting, being all confident after the bathroom! Would it be worth a second coat of sealer before grouting, or shall I just proceed as you say?

Thanks for the advice.

Liam

Sorry - reading that back I wasn't very clear. I've laid the slate tiles on my kitchen floor, and have cleaned them and sealed them with the Mattstone. I didn't actually seal before laying as I stoopidly forgot to come on here and look for slate specific advice before starting, being all confident after the bathroom! Would it be worth a second coat of sealer before grouting, or shall I just proceed as you say?

Thanks for the advice.

Liam

okies if the last thing you did uis seal the grout away, once finished clean well and dry then seal and enjoy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back