Grouting mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a new DIYer and have just finished tiling the kitchen floor. I've grouted and 2 days later there are stains in the grout that won't come out. I've mopped using bleach and washing up liquid but the grout now looks dirty. I used floor grout and followed the instructions.

Is there anything I can do or seal the grout with to stop it getting any worse? Any advice/suggestions are gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
binger - what colour is it ... white grout perhaps? You'll always have trouble keeping white stuff clean ... consider scraping it out and using dark grey. If it's grey grout then this can appear to have dark 'stains' in it from the darker tile adhesive below that wasn't cleaned out from the gaps between the tiles, prior to grouting. Either way, if you can't live with it I'd be tempted (if you can face it) to scrape the grout out and re-do it a dark colour.

If you move fast you may get the grout out before it fully hardens, it's only been a couple of days since it went in.

Thanks Symptoms. I used 'sandstone' (I thought I was being so clever not going for white!). I'm not sure about the best course of action as the tiles are light beige. I guess it's either dark grey grout or a lot of bleach every night...

Sponsored Links
Use a grout film remover to get the film off the tiles othewise youll be there for ever,it will never break down.

Thanks for that. I would have spent hours scraping and trying not to scratch the tiles! Well they say you learn from your (expensive) mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back