Tiling an open fire hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im about to tackle tiling a fireplace hearth, which contains an open fire that will be used.

I have a few questions before i start

Its a victorian fireplace which has a curved profile going into the open fire basket, what tools would be best for forming curves in the tiles?

Do i need special tiles, adhesive and grout for tiling in areas that will be hot?

Part of the area to be tiles (the edges) will just go onto the wooden floorboards, do i need to take any special considerations for this.

Any other advice would be appreciated, I would like to use black slate, would this be appropriate

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Its a victorian fireplace which has a curved profile going into the open fire basket, what tools would be best for forming curves in the tiles?
Diamond blade in an angle grinder.

Do i need special tiles, adhesive and grout for tiling in areas that will be hot?
No, just use a powdered adhesive and grout.

Part of the area to be tiles (the edges) will just go onto the wooden floorboards, do i need to take any special considerations for this.
No.

Have a look at the tiling sticky for further information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back