Slate tiles on fireplace hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for some support. Very much a pen pusher in my day to day job so DIY not my strong point.

I’m looking to tile my fireplace hearth with some slate.

Have found some old slate floor tiles on Facebook marketplace for a bargain price and planning to cut them down with an angle grinder.

My question is, what should I be looking to stick them with? Grout? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
stick them down with bagged powdered adhesive, and you could grout them with a 3:1 mix of sand and cement or custom grouts of a dark colour..
clean and dry the slates.
fix them.
and after 24 hrs use decorators tape along the slate grout line edges or even use a little vaseline or similar - this will help clean up after the grout is set.
grout on slate can be difficult to clean off so slowly and carefully apply the grout into the joins only.

ed. just noticed that you have slate tiles - i thought you were using roofing slates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back