Sealing log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just erected a log cabin I need to make it waterproof at ground level. Attached is a drawing of my proposal to run past you guys.The initial intention was to just run a single bead of mastic around the slab/soleplate joint.
What with all the water we have just had I now wonder if it would be better in addition to this mastic bead put a mortar, or fine concrete, skim all around at an angle so any rainwater drains away and does not pool at the base of the soleplate. Additionally put another bead of mastic where the skim and the soleplate meet.
I might if I go with this put the skim so that it goes to the edge of the concrete slab so any rainwater just falls vertically away.
What do you think?
Scan.jpg

Sponsored Links
What width is the bit of concrete slab sticking out?

Personally I would avoid a mortar fillet, I think that will make the soleplate rot faster.
If you decide to go that route you cant do it as drawn, its impossible to trowel, you have to go to the edge.

Id be tempted to primer the concrete, fit flashband across the concrete and up the soleplate, then cover with a timber cill with a projection and drip.

Ideally put a rebate or chamfer at the back of the cill, so there is somewhere to put a bead of silicone.

Hi

I did consider using a timber cill, my local timber merchant can pressure treat any wood I need. The concrete slab sticks out by around 50mm at sides and front and about 100mm at the rear. I suppose I could use flashband running down the soleplate , across the concrete then over the edge down the face of the slab, with a mastic bead between concrete and soleplate for good measure. I think as such a wooden cill may be overkill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back