Sealing my shower tray/tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a shower fitted a few months ago. The trouble I have is that where the tray meets the wall tiles I have a leak (in 3 places at the moment). My plumber, when he installed it, sealed this with silicone and it seemed OK at first, but I think it's lifting now so that water can penetrate. Is there a better way of sealing this rather than just putting more silicon on the top? I don't know how long this will last....
hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
A lot will depend on how the plumber sealed around the tray and what the tray is made of.

I have found that if you leave a gap of about 3 of 4mm between the top of the tray and bottom of the tile this will allow you to apply a decent bead of silicone between the tiles the tray.

If the bottom tile is just resting on the tray the silicone will need to be applied to the face of the tile and tray, which could let the water in due to it peeling off the tile or tray when it gets wet during showering.

The same can also happen if the tray thats been fitted gives a little when you stand on it

Just to add, do you know what the tiles is bedded on? eg Plasterboard?

The shower is in a cubicle which is a dot&dab wall on two sides and a stud plasterboard wall on the other.

I think the bottom tile is resting on the tray. I can sort of see what pkmjm is saying - do you recommend I remove the silicon that 's there and replace? I can't see how I can ensure it won't happen again.

Sponsored Links
PARTPISGREAT said:
The shower is in a cubicle which is a dot&dab wall on two sides and a stud plasterboard wall on the other.
That's where your problem is because of the plasterboard :cry:, the grout are not waterproof, only water resistance, see here for more details.

Have you considered something like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A235272&ts=57791&id=61900

While I can see where masona is coming from regarding the plasterboard problem but I think the leak must be due to the mastic sealant around the tray. I agree that tile grout is not waterproof, but unless there are cracks in it, it should not let that much water through.

I have just replaced the shower cubicle I built 15 yrs ago and the plywood behind the tiles was in the same condition as when it was first put up,even at tray level.

Thanks to both for your replies.

I only wish I'd seen the tanking system that masona suggested before now. I would have insisted that the builder used that method. However, that's a bit of a done deal now - I can't really strip it out and start again, it would be a massive task. Just as a side point though, my builder did use waterproof grout (I remember it was 3 times more expensive, I got it myself), wouldn't this stop what you suggest?

I really like what pkmjm has suggested from Screwfix and I think I'll try that, not least because it goes on top of the existing system.

Here's hoping.....thanks again to both of you.

PARTPISGREAT said:
my builder did use waterproof grout (I remember it was 3 times more expensive, I got it myself), wouldn't this stop what you suggest?
Can you remember the name of it?

This is the showerseal I've used which just bedded onto the tray/tiles

Looking at the Screwfix from pkmjm link, I think the showerseal have to be put in first before tiling(?)

masona/pkmjm,
I don't know if you are still monitoring this post - I've had a problem with my PC, hence the delay.
Closer inspection reveals that the mastic has parted from the tray, hence the leak.
My builder is coming round to re-seal it, so i've taken masona's advice and purchased a showerseal from Byretech (very prompt delivery) which I will get the builder to fit after he's done the mastic. I'm hoping this will give double protection.
masona - as you were asking about the grout it's "Unibond Wall Tile Waterproof Grout". Do you think this will be OK?

Many thanks to both of you for your time.

PARTPISGREAT said:
Closer inspection reveals that the mastic has parted from the tray, hence the leak.
You need to find out and make sure there is no movement at all on the shower tray when you're standing on it, there maybe a slight movement which you cannot see, get another helper to check it out for any movement. If there is, then it needs to be fixed before sealant.
My builder is coming round to re-seal it, so I’ve taken masona's advice and purchased a showerseal from Byretech (very prompt delivery) which I will get the builder to fit after he's done the mastic. I'm hoping this will give double protection.
Providing there is no movement on the tray and bottom row of tiles. The problem you may have is the plasterboard may be damaged due to contact with water but you may get away with it. Next time round use aqualpanel or shower wall panel
masona - as you were asking about the grout its "Unibond Wall Tile Waterproof Grout". Do you think this will be OK?
Only time will tell and the Unibond manufacture claimed it to be waterproof so I can't comment on that but make sure the grout is 100% covered. A bit like aqualpanel is a waterproof board but the water still seep through it so it can be a bit misleading so the Unibond grout is waterproof but the water may seep through(?). The Unibond may blame you for using plasterboard so it's a grey area.
I think what you’re doing is fine for now and who knows you may not have any problem but if you do then you know what to do next time

Plastic Tray :?: ..sani silicone won`t stick .......need Neutral Curing one :idea:

Masona,

What a brilliant line of yours:

"Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him"

Thanks,

Dave.

Just in case anyone is monitoring/ reviewing this post. (I only looked at it because of the last comment).
Masona's advice to use the Byretech sealant was brilliant. My builder fitted it and it's only in the past month that it looked like it might be parting. (so that's a good few years). I bought the Byretech sealant again and as I was having my boiler changed, I asked the plumber to fit it (I hate sealant, I get it everywhere). Once again, a great looking job that does what it's supposed to.

Masona - I'm sure you're not monitoring this any more, but many many thanks! :)

Thanks - I`ve just added byretech site to my favourites - looks better than my bead of neutral silicone ;)

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me out as well. I've bought some Byretech after reading all the advice here. Great service, ordered it one day & it arrived the next. Now all I have to do is fit it :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back