Sealing roofing felt to brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m about to undertake a small diy project. I’m looking to build a small flat roof to bridge an area over my patio that will connect my brick shed entrance to my house wall but wanted some advice before I start.

UPDATE: So I’ve built the canopy and now it’s time to apply the felt.
How do I go about sealing the edges of the felt to the brickwork at one end and a concrete lintel at the other? the Lintel end only has about 1cm available above the roof to fix to. Could I run a bead of Stick like sh*t clear along the edges or so I need a little upturn before applying the bead or should I use some other kind of sealan?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Take some pictures showing a bit more of the area you are wanting to cover please, and how it connects to house.

Is 2m the width or span?

Concrete lintels are not the easiest of things to drill, you might be better running a ledger board to the wall and resting the rafters on this.

Wood is stronger deeper than wider, you probably want guttering, slope the roof away from house.

Sponsored Links
yes I can see they open out. I don't think joist hangers will work as your diagram shows. and isn't 2mtr?

Just over 1 meter across the door, just over 2 meters spanning the gap. If i used gallow brackets the doors would hit them when opened and pinned back in the summer.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back