Leaky felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very minor leak / seepage in a flat roof extension. It is board and felted and then chippings above. The edge of the roof has lead flashing tucked into the brickwork where it meets the adjoining property.

I've removed all of the chippings, given it a good wash over and left to dry. It is not obvious at all as to where the leak could be coming from. I guess with these things, it could be leaking in some way away and travelling down inside the felt?

I've now painted over (one coat so far) with Thompsons 10yr roof seal. I'll give it a second coat just to be sure.

Should I replace the stone chippings? Or is it better without? Someone said to me the they cause minute holes in the felt over time.

Also, the mortar joint where the flashing is bedded into the vertical wall has broken away in places. Could this be where the water is getting in? Possibly running down the wall and then working it's way inwards and then down the back of the lead? Or is this unlikely?

Should the lead flashing be sealed along it's bottom edge, where it meets the felt? I think that there is a good overlap but again, presumably it could be causing the water ingress.

Is Screwfix's no-nonsense lead-sealant suitable for both the lead / felt joint and the mortar joint?

Any other thoughts? I'm not in a financial position at the moment to have the whole lot replaced with epdm (?) covering.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back