Applying sealant to old felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a bungalow with flat roofed porch with the usual felt and stone chippings on top.

I am now getting a slow wet patch on an inside room in the area where the porch roof meets the pitched roof line of the bungalow. The rafter in the same area is also getting wet.

I've had a look at the felt and its looks OK - no noticeable gaps, bubbles, cracking etc.

I plan on covering the felt and felt joints in that area with Flexacryl or similar to see if that stops the seepage.

Am I OK to just scoop away the chippings and brush the area to get rid of loose dirt before painting on the sealant or will any dirt at all prevent the sealant from doing its job?

Sponsored Links
East Sussex - ? . I can recommend a good and trusted roofer ;) No relation to me - (tho` I know a plasterer who is ).

Sponsored Links
If I had the money I would get it replaced!

As I haven't, I need to repair it while I save up.

In that case go for Wickes ` bitumen - cheap as chips ;) . works as well - just looks er, black

In that case go for Wickes ` bitumen - cheap as chips ;) . works as well - just looks er, black
Be lucky for that to do any good,it may ,it may not but best case scenario=short term,very short.If you dont have the money and want the water to stop,to prevent further damage invest in a tauparlin(less than a tenner) wont look nice but WILL stop the water ingress while you save up.If its joined onto your house tuck sheet under cap flashing and weigh down and nail edges(lath/nails).Lying laths on the roof weighed down with bags of sand would do.If free standing,no probs just secure edges with nails/laths but dont put nails through sheet on roof area into decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back