chip board under felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a shed built which has a torched on felt roof on top of chipboard. After the first very wet spell we found that the chip board started to develop widespread black areas, supposedly damp. There is no evidence of water getting in and the felt roof looks sound. Could it possibly be air moisture? Any ideas? :

Sponsored Links
did the compressed wheetabix get at all wet before being covered!!!

I have seen this a couple of times once on ply, due to damp air and in the ply case which was a stable block caused by steam from hot horses and the other was a tropical fish house

the mould cold be a product of of condensation.

do you happen to have any petrol driven machinery stowed away in this shed?

is the shed heated?!

Sponsored Links
It's condensation due to the cold external surface, and mould feeding off the glue/timber starch.

Either insulate to raise the surface temperature, or paint/seal the bare boards to remove the mould food source

If this only happened after the first wet spell rather than during the frosty spell I wouldn't bank on it being condensation.

Is black mould a problem? I've a few plywood board with some small patches of black mould, and a few areas that are 'spotted' They're back in the dry now so should I give them a coat of timber preserver and reuse or are they now firewood? It's only on the surface, the cross section ply beneath seem fine when cut. These will eventually be used to reroof my garage.

The mould is living on the surface of the board and not eating it as such. It can be brushed off and if the boards treated and used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back