Leading Flashing Alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Some ***** has nicked my lead flashing from my newly layed garage roof. The garage roof is pitched to the side of the house. The lead flashing was mortared onto the side of the house brick walls and layed over the tiles on the garage roof.

I don't want this to happen again, so don't want to use lead as a replacement. The alternatives I seen searching through the forum are Flashbend, UbiFlex and roofing felt.

People don't seem keen on flashbend, so was thinking of either roofing felt or UbiFlex.

I understand that Ubiflex can be worked on exactly the same way as lead flashing.

Question is, can roofing felt be used the same way and would it need to be stuck down to the roof tiles? Is it a cheaper option to Ubiflex?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I can only offer my opinion on Ubiflex, having use it on a slate roof in France (lead is not allowed).
It's about as expensive as lead and used in much the same way, but I'd certainly use it again.
Ubiflex has an aluminium mesh embedded within it and is thicker than roofing felt. It also comes in several colours.

I'm only a DIY'er but I wouldn't use felt unless I was prepared to replace it regularly. Neither would I rely on it being stuck down to prevent wind driven uplift.

Roofing felt is not an option for flashing as it degrades under sunlight and frost

Sponsored Links
but if it`s coloured to look like lead and then attached to an electric fence transformer :idea: with a ali ladder nearby so they can get access ;)

Copper has better conductivity ;)

Seriously though, I'd use ubiflex, although dont be suprised if the dumb ***** scum rip it out thinking its lead.

Thanks for the reponse and advise guys. I've put flashing tape up as a temporary measure until I can source some ubiflex at a reasonable price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back