Sealing tiles(not ceiling tiles)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying Tumbled Marble mosaic tiles online and have asked the retailer if they will need sealing.He has told me they will need sealing after laying and then after grouting.Now my question these tiles are for a bathroom walk in shower,what is the best adhesive to use and what is the best sealer to use and also grout.All help would be greatly recieved as im not exactly a professional(diy trier)

Sponsored Links
the best sealer that i use is the lithofin range, there is a stain stop or marble sealer, dont cost much, as the sealing is concerned i ALWAYS seal before laying, trust me it can stop any crap getting in when they are being laid

if they are white, go get a rapid adhesive, white one. (powder, if its onto wood, get flexi)

if they are not white youll be ok with a normal rapid (still powder, same as above)

where grout is concerned it depends on what colour you would like.

but again ifts flexi adhesive your using go for flexi grout.

Cheers jefoss ,can i ask another question.I am fitting a recess shower so 2 walls are exterior wall and 1 stud,do i need to aquapanel all the walls or just the stud.Or can i use normal plasterboard for the stud and use a watrproofer for the whole shower.If i can what waterproofing syatem do you advise.Thanks for the reply and any other help

i dont use aqua panel personally, some on here swear by it tho, but i always use the old fashioned tanking kit.

bal and pci both do very good ones, for the bal one expect to pay around £70ish for the retail price and £60 for the pci one.

happy to help dude

Sponsored Links
Would you use the green backed moisture resistant plasterboard for the stud wall,?Im a little paranoid that im going to do the preparation wrong and mess the whole thing up.My plan was to stud the rectangular showers right and left hand walls with backerboard,aquapanel or something like,then the brick and plaster wall (in front of you as you walk in shower)just tank and then tank the 2 stud walls.Do you think that is over cautious,want to do it once and not have to rip it down in a couple of yrs because water has got to the plasterboard,thanks for continuing to put up with the questions mate its apreciated

Cheers for that think im leaning toward plasterboard and tanking route,which adhesice for mosaic would be best and also what grout should i use to keep water out?

Cheers for that think im leaning toward plasterboard and tanking route,which adhesice for mosaic would be best and also what grout should i use to keep water out?

a good choice to be honest.

if your putting mosaics in the shower it will obviously let in more water than "normal" sized tiles, any grout that isnt unibond or own brands from bee and queue will work fine as your tanking the area..

cheers jefoss im at a loss to which tile to use ,ceramic is easier i think ,im worried about water getting through to the point of distraction ,so after a conflab with the missus(boss) i think its normal plasterboard and bal tanking system ,then a ceramic tile laid in a brick pattern (dont ask why) using a water resistant adhesive and grout .How does that sound? Any tips on which adhesive and grout to use?.Thanks for the continued help mate,i am worried because we live in a victorian terraced and every job we have undertaken has thrown a few nasty surprises at us,think the house doesnt like being dragged into another century haha

cheers jefoss im at a loss to which tile to use ,ceramic is easier i think ,im worried about water getting through to the point of distraction ,so after a conflab with the missus(boss) i think its normal plasterboard and bal tanking system ,then a ceramic tile laid in a brick pattern (dont ask why) using a water resistant adhesive and grout .How does that sound? Any tips on which adhesive and grout to use?.Thanks for the continued help mate,i am worried because we live in a victorian terraced and every job we have undertaken has thrown a few nasty surprises at us,think the house doesnt like being dragged into another century haha

to save me writing loads more here go to the top of the tiling section and go through mr Gc's sticky, it has almost everything you need up there to continue with the job now.

good luck and post some pics when you have finished matey

:cool:

to save me writing loads more here go to the top of the tiling section and go through mr Gc's sticky, it has almost everything you need up there to continue with the job now.
Almost!? :evil: :LOL: How rude.

barcabod, what size of tile are you using? It's just that you mentioned mosaics and if using mosaics you really want to be using an adhesive with a higher grab like Bal mosaicfix. Using an ordinary adhesive will make the job difficult as the sheets of mosaic will slump downwards.

gcol,i was going to use mosaic but have now decided to use a ceramic tile and lay them in a brick pattern so eliminating a lot of grout lines(hope that made sense) Jefoss I will post a picture when done will be november time so watch this space(haha)Thanks for all your help you've been a great help.I feel a lot more confident that this job may turn out right first time( then the house will be in this century)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back