Stone Wall and Floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, im after some advise for tiling my bathroom, i am going to be using 3 types of tile for the project, Travertine 400x600x10 for some of the walls, travertine mosaics (sheet format) for the remainder of the walls/in-set areas and calibrated granite (400x400x12) for the floor. Im going to have a bash at doing the job myself, so i am after some advice regarding adhesives, trowels and sealers ect.

1> The travertine 400x600 is going to be mounted onto part solid and part plasterboard wall, what adhesives and trowel size type would you recommend for this ? What tile space size would you recommend to give the best result ?

2> The travertine mosaics are going around the bath area, there is also a shower mounted above the bath. What tanking kit would you recommend for this (if any) ? what adhesive and trowel size would you recommend ?

3> The granite tiles (black) are being floor mounted onto chipboard floor paneling, What adhesives and trowel size type would you recommend ? im thinking about keeping the tile space size to a minimum for this and was thinking 2mm with black grout, is this feasible with this type of tile ? what are your thoughts ?

4> Sealers, what manufacturer would you recommend for doing travertine and travertine mosaics ? how many applications would you apply to the mosaics at the bath/shower area ?

5> Grout, what would you recommend for doing both travertine tile and mosaics ?

Many thanks for reading my post and thanks in advance for any replies.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
1> The travertine 400x600 is going to be mounted onto part solid and part plasterboard wall, what adhesives and trowel size type would you recommend for this ? What tile space size would you recommend to give the best result ?
Use a powdered adhesive suitable for natural stone tiles - there's plenty to chose from - visit your local tile shop.
For wall tiles that size you can use a notched trowel with 6, 8 or 10mm notches. To use the 6mm notch with tiles that size, you need a very flat wall. 10mm for more uneven walls and 8mm is obviously inbetween. 2 or 3mm spacers would be typical.

2> The travertine mosaics are going around the bath area, there is also a shower mounted above the bath. What tanking kit would you recommend for this (if any) ? what adhesive and trowel size would you recommend ?
Get either the Dunlop or the Bal tanking kit and use a mosaic adhesive - something like Bal mosaic-fix. Use a small notched trowel - 3 or 4mm.
Personally, mosaics are the last thing I'd have round a shower because all that grout gets grubby quickly.

3> The granite tiles (black) are being floor mounted onto chipboard floor paneling, What adhesives and trowel size type would you recommend ? im thinking about keeping the tile space size to a minimum for this and was thinking 2mm with black grout, is this feasible with this type of tile ? what are your thoughts ?
My thoughts are that you need to reconsider laying tiles onto chipboard, unless you want them to come loose in the not too distant future.

4> Sealers, what manufacturer would you recommend for doing travertine and travertine mosaics ? how many applications would you apply to the mosaics at the bath/shower area ?
Lithofin products are commonly used. Follow the instructions on the product.

5> Grout, what would you recommend for doing both travertine tile and mosaics ?
Bal Microcolour.

just to enhance g's answer to number 4, seal them before you put them up, then again before you grout.

some will then say once its finished but thats down to personal preference.

:cool:

Thanks for your response gcol, one further question to your response to question 2, i have one section of the wall where the travertine (400x600) meet the mosaics, can a larger notched trowel be used for the mosaics in this area (ie 10mm) in order to pack the mosaics out, thus creating a flush surface ?

Many thanks

Gavin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back