Travertine Tiles Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have tiled some of the bathroom, one wall above bath has been done in Travertine mosaic 2 x 2 ish, the other three walls will be done in plain white tiles with brick joint formation. My questions and advice needed are.
1. At what stage do the Travertine need to be sealed (before and after grouting is what i am thinking).

2. Traverine natural stone colour i would imagine using a coloured grout, especially as i also imagine grout will go into the holes / pitts in the tiles. However my concern is white tiles will need white grout, will it look odd using two different grouts ? also if this is normal practise which grout do you use in the corners where the two tile types meet. ?

3. Any particular type of grout & sealer recommended.

All help and comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
when using natural tiles i personally tile them as soon as i get them out of the box, then after laying then after grouting, you can never be too careful fella.

the sealer you could use this (or similar) http://www.extensive.co.uk/product....s-1l?jssCart=83918bc4a76dd821d83a2b57c714873e

why not go for an ivory grout over all?

some on here will tell you to steer clear of white any way as its a bit more maintenance over the the long run

keep away from cheap grouts. howtex, mapai, bal all good.

when using natural tiles i personally tile them as soon as i get them out of the box, then after laying then after grouting, you can never be too careful fella.
He means seal.

why not go for an ivory grout over all?
Ivory looks good, limestone is another that goes well with travertine.

some on here will tell you to steer clear of white any way as its a bit more maintenance over the the long run
Bloody right mate. Won't have the stuff in my house and strongly recommend against it to all and sundry. There should be a petition to number 10 asking to ban white grout!

yes of course seal not tile!

i guess my eyes were still closed when i was typing earlier today

Sponsored Links
I would prefer to use coloured especially on the stone, but my worry is wouldnt coloured on a white tile look both odd and dirty ?

No, coloured grout looks far better than white grout on white tiles. In any case, white grout will be dirty in a few months anyway.
I work away alot and have to spend time in Premier Inns - I've noticed that in the bathrooms in their newer hotels they use large plain white tiles and either black or navy blue grout. It looks smart and you just don't see the muck and black marks like you do with white grout. It looks better and is lower maintenance. It's a no brainer. (I wouldn't go for navy grout on travertine though!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back