Search Coat???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new kitchen - at last. I have stripped the walls of every spot of paint (taken ages). Lightly sanded and filled in any holes left by tiles etc etc. Now i am ready for a mist coat. I have read about search coats?? Something to do with it shows up blemishes in plaster.
How exactly do I do this please?
Do I need to use a Dulux trade paint?
What is the ratio of water and paint?
And lastly how many mist coats do I give?
Sorry for so many questions but I have been waiting for a new kitchen for many years and now its finally happening, I dont want my paintwork to ruin the whole thing.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I tend to use Dulux Trade paints.

The mist coat should be 9 to 1, 10% water. I generally apply a wet on wet coat over bare plaster to get an even (colour) coverage. If you find areas that need filling, don't forget to spot mist coat the sanded filler.

If I am only dealing with fairly small areas of bare plaster, or if the finish coat is going to be waterbased eggshell, I often just roll on Leyland Trade acrylic primer (no need to dilute).

Speaking of waterbased eggshell, it is far more durable in a kitchen than matt emulsion. You can wipe it clean. Admittedly it is not as durable as oil based eggshell though but it is easier to apply, won't yellow and won't stink for days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back