Second coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi could anybody tell me when and how you know when to apply the second coat of plaster,iknow that the plaster goes off at different times on different walls,how can i tell when its ready for a second coat.some plasterers seem to apply there second coat strait away and others wait 10 to 15 minites.

Sponsored Links
By Second coat do you mean, the second coat of finsh or the finish on to the base coat(bonding, browning, hardwall etc..)
I apply second coat of finish on to finish straight away, after you have applied first coat, and starting back at the point you started to applying this coat and mixed up the second coat, a period of time has elapsed anyway.
If first coat of finish, on to base a couple of hours.

Second coat of Multi should go on straight after the first as soon as it will accept it. There is no set time, 1st coat needs to be just slightly firm to avoid pulling it over with the 2nd.

2nd base coat or finish skim over base should be left until it's cured, usually from around 1 1/2 hours.

1st & 2nd finish coats should be part of the same mix unless you have someone mixing for you. If you have to stop to clean down & mix afresh, you’ll almost certainly run out of time on all but the smallest of jobs as many new to it find.

so basically you are saying as soon as my first skim coat has gone on make another mix and apply the second coat strait away.

Sponsored Links
I like to have my second coat slightly wetter than the first, I either prepare another mix or water down the remainder.
This is generally for small DIY jobs rather than large areas.

so basically you are saying as soon as my first skim coat has gone on make another mix and apply the second coat strait away.

Richard C is right about best in 1 mix. However, still learning myself and only on the smallest walls have I managed in 1 mix.
Therefore I've done a fresh mix for the second coat and been ok.
Have found it's given me much more time to get a better final result.
As DIY only, this is prob ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back