second hand pvc french doors???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we currently have a window in place but are intending to cut down the block work to fit a set of french doors.....the opening will be 180cm by 215cm...I had seen a set of scondhand french doors but the frame size was 175cm by 205cm. The frame is only 5cm narrower but 10cm shorter than the opening

My question is how would you fit these up to take up the shortfall in dimensions? Im sure the 5cm in width i.e. 2.5cms either side isnt a big issue but the 10cm shorter may be? As you cant really raise the height of the door frame up 10cm so that the pvc frame seats tight against the head?

Any help advise would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Box it out in timber and on the outside have a moulded and painted piece that overlaps the joint between boxing and new frame. This should sit 20 -30 mm back from the face of the exsisting face of your wall rather than trying to make it sit flush.
On the inside either repeat or extend the boxing to the inside face of your wall and cover in either mdf or plasterboard and paint in with the wall. Fill the boxing above the doorframe with rockwool or other insulation.
It may even be possible to put a light into the boxing so that it all looks like it is intended to be there rather than looking a little ad hoc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back