Second opinion on internal door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has just had news doors fitted throughout his bungalow, I think they are well and truly botched, but I'd like a second opinion - am I being too picky ?

Worst is the bathroom door. My catalogue of issues includes :
  • The door itself is well and truly messed up - I don't know whether the guy went off-line when drilling in for the lockset or what, it's the only explanation I can think of for having forced part of the surface out !
    Huge gap underneath - I can literally get a finger through the gap.
    The inside handle isn't flush to the door surface - I suspect he's "pulled" the wood out where the top screw is and created a bump that's holding the fitting away.
    The outside bit of the lock (the bit with the screwdriver slot for unlocking it from the outside) is sticking out further than I'd have expected, isn't central, and the plate is only held with one screw.
    The latch isn't properly set into the door (it's proud).
    The striker plate isn't recessed properly - the latch and striker plate touch and bind.

Here's photos :

The airing cupboard door is a bit of a mess where he's trimmed it down. On the latch side it could have done with planing down a bit to match the jamb that isn't straight, ditto the the top. But on the hinge side it looks like he'd had a few too many before trimming this down (in case it's not clear, the jamb is near-enough straight, it's the door that's wonky) :

There's a bedroom door that is noticeably stiff, the upper hinge (there's 3 per door) is out of line with the others, and the door fouls the stop at the top only. Another door or two where the striker plate isn't recessed properly and the door binds on it.

On one door, he had to move a stop, but he'd caulked it so that the join between the stop and the casing is barely squarer than my finger ends.

Several hinges aren't "flat" in the casing or door, some of the grub screws in the handles are sticking out a long way, and lots of little details like that.

I'm fairly certain (just from having been shown the fittings before the doors went in, that the latches are designed to allow through-bolting of the handles. And there are screws provided for this. Instead he's just used a couple of short wood screws per handle. I've certain they'll end up like the office doors at work - all "wobbly" because the screws have pulled out and the only thing holding the handle on is the grub screw in the square shaft.

And he seems to like caulking - it doesn't show up very well, but in the last of the first group of photos, he's filled in round the striker plate so it does look like it stands out as much as it really does.

These doors are from B&Q, and seem to have a "plasticky" surface to them. If I add a strip of wood to the bottom of the bathroom door, and plane it down to match the thickness, how hard do you think it's going to be to get the new bit flush with the existing surface ?
The guy that fitted them isn't going to be coming back. My mate didn't notice how bad they were and he's already paid up.
It was "quite a surprise" how badly he's done these, because the guy did a decent job of his floor.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

if hes a chippy HES HAD A BAD DAY.

THERE 5HITE.
and i would not be happy paying out my hard earned on them,
WTF with the bathroom door,
:LOL:

:rolleyes:

oh how many were so called fitted and how much was the customer stitched up for.

I've got to agree, bad something day! Almost every fault you could hope (?) to find in a door hanging job! The only one that I might be able to defend is the gap under the bottom of a door which should ideally be about 6mm - not the 15mm gap you show - unless the floor on the other side is out of level and he's had to plane more off to give clearance over the flooring. With the other faults,however, perhaps I'm being generous. Might I enquire how much he charged you for this work? Oh, and did he remove his stetson and spurs when he entered the house?

PS You're not being too picky

Sponsored Links
PS You're not being too picky
Thanks for that - sometimes it's something I'm accused of :rolleyes:

There were 7 doors in total - 6 room doors, and the airing cupboard which is slightly smaller.
There's no reason for the large gap. The bathroom floor isn't perfectly level, but the extra height of the threshold strip is more than enough to compensate (as in, if the door clears the strip, it'll clear the floor with room to spare).

I think I might have upset my mate a bit. He wasn't too bothered until I pointed out the flaws. Now he'll be looking at doors in a different light for the next few weeks - same thing happened with tiling when we did the bathroom, he started spotting stuff he'd never known about before.

I think mostly he's just going to live with them. Though some faults really need fixing - I reckon his handles will all be loose before too long if we don't through-bolt them or at least put all the screw in (they are in the office, all except the one I repaired (experimentally) with some fibreglass loaded body repair filler someone had surplus !). I can't help thinking it'll take longer to fix just the essentials than it would have done to do the job for him in the first place.

As I say, it was a surprise, because his workmanship on the floor seemed quite good. He won't be getting asked back to do the kitchen.

What was the price for the door hanging,some guy's are very cheap I wondered how they did it
I don't know how much was paid, but I do recall it wasn't a lot. I have been lecturing my mate for some time that low cost and value for money aren't the same thing.

ah ha a 15 quid a door EXPERT :LOL: :LOL:

wish i could do a job like that. :rolleyes:

i think weve all seen em,
i saw some doors where the hinges were hammered onto the door,not set with a gauge or chisel literally hammered in to make the indentation,and all brass work scratched,but hey he was an professional. ;)

I never ceases to amaze me how some people actually hand over their hard earned cash to people who have completely messed up :confused:

I'm always unhappy when I see work done as badly as this. It gets us all a bad name

Well the cost was considerably more than suggested above - can't say how much. The guy has replied to my mates email and offered to come back and try to sort some of the problems - but TBH both of us are kind of thinking that given what he's done so far, he's not likely to make a big improvement and could make things worse.
I can't repeat what was in his email, but I was "unconvinced" by the reasons put forward - although I can see that the chipboard core might not be the best material to work.

So I'll probably be trying to fix the worst of it myself ... would have been easier to hang them in the first place. I don't claim great carpentry skills, but the target to beat is quite low in this case :rolleyes:

although I can see that the chipboard core might not be the best material to work.
Still doesn't explain the rest of it, though. As to chipboard cores - theyve been with us a while now and like it or no we just have to get used to them and adapt our techniques and tools to work with them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back