Can these hinges be adjusted ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend had new windows and doors, the supplier of which promptly went bust leaving him with no warranty. The back door was obviously installed by a blind idiot.

I've fixed one problem by dropping the striker plate by about 1/2". But it could really do with moving out a bit away from the hinges as some of the latches barely contact the striker. You can see on this photo that the roller only just touches the striker.

So can these hinges be adjusted laterally ? Is so, how ? There's a visible screw in the back, and hidden behind a small plug on the front/end there is a hex (IIRC) socket.

Sponsored Links
Take the cap off and wind the hex screw so the door moves closer to the keep.

A friend had new windows and doors, the supplier of which promptly went bust leaving him with no warranty.

I believe since April 2002 it was a requirement of FENSA and probably Certass membership that installations were backed by an insurance backed guarantee (IBG), if they were fitted after this date the chances are your friend has cover and needs to dig his paperwork out and find the IBG

take the little cap off the right hand side and use an allan key to move it horizontally, do all three the same amount though or you will cause problems!

Sponsored Links
I believe since April 2002 it was a requirement of FENSA and probably Certass membership that installations were backed by an insurance backed guarantee (IBG), if they were fitted after this date the chances are your friend has cover and needs to dig his paperwork out and find the IBG
He tells me he's checked and it isn't - but I'll suggest he has another look.

When my parents had a bay added to the living room, dad got a form to send off (with a fee) to get the insurance guarantee. However, the outfit went under before it got there and the insurers just sent it back.

As an aside, the company my friend used was one of the longest established in the area, and they've completely gone. Definitely not one of those run for a few years, collapse, start up with a slightly different name, run for a few years, rinse and repeat, outfits.

take the little cap off the right hand side and use an allan key to move it horizontally ...
I'll give it another go. I did have a go before but it seemed to turn a little bit and then go tight, and I didn't want to force it. Should I be slackening off any other screws (eg the one on the back) first ?

There are a few niggles like this - that was the worst, but some of the windows could do with adjustment and so on. All the sort of thing an installer doesn't have time for when they've been given an impossibly short time to do the job to keep the quote down.

you dont need to slacken anything, it will be pretty stiff though dont worry, only worry if is turning and not moving

All sorted now, just a matter of having my hex keys with me. Last time I tried I only had my screwdriver bits and they didn't reach deep enough. If only all the other problems were as easy to fix :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back