Second Story Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Our Edwardian house had a single story extension built in 1990, with 4 1/2" bricks (external & internal) with a 2" cavity. We would like to add a second story on top of the existing walls, so assuming the foundations are suitable (and we understand they are, but will require a dig to confirm), what are Building Regs in regard to the current requirements for cavity insulation and could I build with a 2" cavity and fill with a high u value insulation such as Kingspan or Celotex? Any advice / help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No you'll need additional insulation internally no matter what you stick in the cavity. It's theoretically possible to corbel the masonry skin out internally to create a wider cavity, or you could probably build it with a timber frame on the inside. Is this one of these making it up as you go along or are you employing someone to draw up some decent working/building regs drawings?

could I build with a 2" cavity and fill with a high u value insulation such as Kingspan or Celotex? Any advice / help appreciated.
As per Freddie - you will have the additional pain of adding insulation to the walls either internally or externally, unless you can fathom a way of building with (at least) 105mm cavities.

No you'll need additional insulation internally no matter what you stick in the cavity. It's theoretically possible to corbel the masonry skin out internally to create a wider cavity, or you could probably build it with a timber frame on the inside. Is this one of these making it up as you go along or are you employing someone to draw up some decent working/building regs drawings?
I'll discuss the possibilities of 'corbel the internal masonry or have a timber interior frame' with our architect. His original idea was to install steels under the floor to support the internal wall for the second floor. Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back