Secondary glazing for stained glass window and door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I am looking to replace the existing glass panes that act as secondary glazing to the stained glass leaded windows and door in my house.

Currently they are fixed with edging and plastic clips, both worn and yellowed.

Can anyone recommend a particular system they have used?

I have been looking at polycarbonate sheet with superglaze framed edging strips as they seem a reasonably priced solution. I guess aluminium frames made to measure would cost a fortune?

Sponsored Links
We have leaded windows in our house. I put the thinniest double glazed window oane on the inside into the timber frame. I glued / sealed it with clear silicone and then siliconed the thinniest woden bead I could find onto the inside of the DG pane. It looks good and made a huge difference insulation wise.

I would not know another way to keep old leaded windows and impriove insulation.
Ours has been in for 10 years now.

Just make sure the panes arereally clean when you install them as thewre is no chance of ever getting marks of again once they are installed.

We have leaded windows in our house. I put the thinniest double glazed window oane on the inside into the timber frame. I glued / sealed it with clear silicone and then siliconed the thinniest woden bead I could find onto the inside of the DG pane. It looks good and made a huge difference insulation wise.

I would not know another way to keep old leaded windows and impriove insulation.
Ours has been in for 10 years now.

Just make sure the panes arereally clean when you install them as thewre is no chance of ever getting marks of again once they are installed.

Cheers this is what I had in mind originally, although a chap came and repaired a couple of panes and told me that the lead did need ventilation.

Obviously if you vent them on the inside you lose your insulation which is not much good!

I have ordered some 4mm plate poly with a framing system called Superglaze which hopefully will produce a good result. I will let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back