Secondary glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house (1800, or thereabouts) with original cast metal framed windows, set into wooden surround frames. I really like them - the glass is all wobbly and bubbled and they look 'right' for the building. But they let the cold in, cause condensation, and get mouldy in the winter. In the sitting room, the window consists of three of the steel units, with 8 panes in each, the middle one being the only one that can open. The bedroom immediately above is the same. The back rooms have smaller openings, with twin frames only.

I was thinking of getting some double-glazed wooden windows (just the opening parts) to fit inside the original windows, maybe on hinges so they work like shutters and can be put to one side in the summer, or maybe sliding, or even maybe so they can be put up and fastened in the winter and taken down completely in the summer.

Does anyone have some better ideas, or advice on possible problems with doing something like this? Also, where on earth does anyone buy windows nowadays? They don't seem to sell them in DIY stores any more...

Sponsored Links
That looks pretty tidy, masona - where did you get them?

I was originally thinking of using some sort of setup with DG units as the secondary glazing. But now I'm thinking if I approached a chippy with a handful of cash, I might be able to get some nice wooden frames made up and glazed to fit inside the present window frame, maybe with a hinge opening central frame to allow access to the current opener...

I wonder what that might cost...?

That looks pretty tidy, masona - where did you get them?
It's about 15 yrs old, the double glazing company made it for me. Don't know if it's still available

I was originally thinking of using some sort of setup with DG units as the secondary glazing. But now I'm thinking if I approached a chippy with a handful of cash, I might be able to get some nice wooden frames made up and glazed to fit inside the present window frame, maybe with a hinge opening central frame to allow access to the current opener...

I wonder what that might cost...?
Might look a bit too bulky but don't know how big your windows are.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back