Secret Gate in Current Fencing?

I thought I'd hop over my side fence to save me making the long detour around the houses. Bad idea. I've done this many times as a short-cut to the shops but this time was one time too many.
At least this confirms you need a gate. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Sponsored Links
:D

Well my foot's still painful and I can't walk on it properly but I finally got around to fitting the 2 diagonal cross pieces and my gate was just awaiting the final cut to the middle cross piece to complete the job.

A little background to this little mid-life crisis project of mine. I've not been so good for the last few years and wouldn't even venture into my garden or leave my house, so please bear with me....

Then suddenly 5 days ago on Monday my depression just magically disappeared and I got some sort of new lease of life. I thoroughly enjoyed the week slowly creating my masterpiece of a stealth gate. I'm no DIY expert but joined this forum for some tips which I gratefully received, thank you ;)

I have an old friend of mine who always takes the Mickey out of me for being a lazy, miserable negative bastard. I once promised her many years ago that I was going to put a gate in my back garden. She laughed at me and we've joked about it ever since. So I sent her a text to tell her I'd built a gate. She didn't believe me but was round the next morning to witness my miracle. She was even impressed. She didn't believe it was my work.

I gave her the saw to complete the final 1/4" cut and open the gate for the first time. Well, I've never laughed so much in my life as she tried to use the saw!! I'm sorry, I don't mean to be sexist, but some people just can't use tools. After a lot of struggling and laughter the cut was completed she slowly pulled the gate open! It was a little tight as it came open but pleasingly it seemed solid and no sagging at all. I was both relieved and impressed. She stepped out into the alleyway and successfully locked it from the outside, however admiring it from a distance she had difficulty even finding the gate to open again. The stealth had worked!

Here's the finished job. I might just spray the hinges to make them blend in with the wood colouring to complete the stealth mode .

:D

So I'm buzzing like I don't know what and already planning my next project. A shed maybe?

Help!! (And thanks again for the advice DIYers) :D

Sponsored Links
Fair play, I've gotta say when I first saw this thread I thought christ what a waste of a nice new fence :LOL:

A little background to this little mid-life crisis project of mine. I've not been so good for the last few years and wouldn't even venture into my garden or leave my house, so please bear with me....

Then suddenly 5 days ago on Monday my depression just magically disappeared and I got some sort of new lease of life. I thoroughly enjoyed the week slowly creating my masterpiece of a stealth gate.

If you've liked the woodworking, and it's helped take your mind off things, get stuck in :)

Have a go at things like bookshelves, coffee tables etc. Even scraps of wood can be fettled in to ornaments etc

This forum is great, but also keep an eye out in charity shops for books on diy/woodworking, they can give you knowledge and ideas:cool:

Not sure about your choice of beer! :unsure: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back