Section 5 Public Order Act 1986

As for helping the police, I would be wary of doing that. The police have protections when arresting a citizen. Bystanders do not and could be sued by the arrestee.

When I lived in a rough area, on 2 occasions I helped officers restrain suspects.
As soon as they were in cuffs I walked away.
Simple.

Sponsored Links
No reaction my arse! The filmers are only there to cause trouble and hinder the police
I'm actually talking about situations where cammers are just filming AND THE POLICE ARE NOT IN ATTENDANCE. Until they either spot someone filming, or someone else does, takes umbrage and calls the police.
I tell you what, sometimes it might as well be a gun the cammer is holding, the reaction some police have to it. They often make unlawful demands, then get really upset when their intimidation does not result in the cammer "doing what he is told."
That's a selfish and anti-social attitude; not to mention cowardly. Shame on you.
Well, actually, I have multiple disabilities, including CP. Am I selfish, anti-social and cowardly now? But even if I wasn't, I am not paid to risk potential injury like the police are.
Police today are too constrained
Not from what I've seen! 1. They claim to be extremely short-staffed but spend a lot of time and man-power harassing people who are carrying out a lawful activity. 2. Those policemen caught on camera very often say and do what they please and often don't quote or uphold the law.
Quite right they should ask for footage of a crime!
They can indeed. But then with the other hand, they try and stop people gathering footage.
and that police officer can then lose his job. How can that be right?
If police don't follow procedure or laid down practices, they will quite rightly be subject to investigation and possible disciplinary action. How can that be wrong?

The law did change a few years ago to offer the citizen more protection from unlawful arrest or assault allegations. Previously you had to witness the crime so could not for example assist by tackling a person running away. Now you have more protection if you suspect an indictable offence. However, you should be cautious when offering help.

I’d definitely ask first. You have absolutely no duty and can be sued, it happens a lot and there is plenty of case law which led to the change.

There is case law where charges were dropped or case dismissed against the perpetrators which allowed them to sue the person who assisted or performed an arrest. Under the old rules no conviction no right to arrest.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that some do try that but the police usually grab them by the cuffs and drag them back :)

Not really, remember, they're busy with the suspect still struggling in cuffs

The law did change a few years ago to offer the citizen more protection from unlawful arrest or assault allegations. Previously you had to witness the crime so could not for example assist by tackling a person running away. Now you have more protection if you suspect an indictable offence. However, you should be cautious when offering help.

I’d definitely ask first. You have absolutely no duty and can be sued, it happens a lot and there is plenty of case law which led to the change.

There is case law where charges were dropped or case dismissed against the perpetrators which allowed them to sue the person who assisted or performed an arrest. Under the old rules no conviction no right to arrest.

Indeed, in England if you see an horrific car accident that you weren't involved in then you can just walk away without offering any assistance, that's your right (morally a bit iffy)

Well, actually, I have multiple disabilities, including CP. Am I selfish, anti-social and cowardly now? But even if I wasn't, I am not paid to risk potential injury like the police are.

I mean no offence to your disabilities; none at all, but there are many ways to help the police. Helping the police is not just the big, heroic stuff such as we saw in the narwhal tusk / fire extinguisher incident a few weeks ago. You can help by coming forward as a witness to a crime; you can stick out your foot to trip up a criminal running away, you can block an escape route with your car.

Ever heard your mates condoning some criminal activity such as drug taking? Don't join in - be unfashionable and tell them what arseholes they are.

Ever been on a busy road and heard the siren in the distance behind you? When this happens, all cars pull over out of the way to let the police through - this is helping the police. I've never seen a car not move out of the way, and this is one of the only moral, community minded acts you'll see these days.

Simply "not being hostile", or just getting out of the way helps. The police are our police, paid for by us, doing our bidding and protecting us. I believe that there is no moral law in the universe - morality is made by man. You can make a good, happy society or an unpleasant, hostile one as you so choose.

Finally, one question...what sort of person doesn't like the police?

(Answer: a criminal)

Finally, one question...what sort of person doesn't like the police?

(Answer: a criminal)

And victims of crime who have seen the offenders aided, supported and encouraged by police, cps, courts and everyone else to the point that they walk the street to offend again and again.

And victims of crime who have seen the offenders aided, supported and encouraged by police, cps, courts and everyone else to the point that they walk the street to offend again and again.

Sad, but true. Needn't be so, though.

In the UK we have policing by consent. They are here to serve and protect the public. When their behaviour and actions damage that, they lose vital support. When automated speed cameras where introduced many officers thought it would have serious consequences for crime fighting and it did. The guy who's just got 3 points for 25 in a 20, will be thinking twice about helping a copper. The person who's been stopped and searched too many times won't want to help, anyone wrongly arrested and let go once the CPS review only to be told we'll get you next time, rather than sorry for the inconvenience will have a life long distrust of the police. Thousands of people each year who don't understand the alleged crime wrongly accept Police Cautions because they are told its just a ticking off. Again, those people lose trust, when they later find out the components of the offence didn't exist to charge them and the caution is a police record affecting all sorts.

Of course, help the police - especially if you have filmed the area and can help with video of it.

Oh wait, this is where it all started .... :)

Sponsored Links
Back