Secure wooden garden gate/door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a secure door to replace a old wooden gate in a 10ft stone garden wall. I'm looking to get something that will stand up well to weathering. Would a normal solid fire door well finished with primer/gloss etc do, or is there something else that is better designed for the (outdoor) purpose? Appearance isn't terribly important but high level of security is (I'm wanting something that 5-lever mortise lock can be fitted to).

Any tips on the best primers/paint etc for outdoor application if going down the 'normal fire door' route?

thanks
skenk

Sponsored Links
I don't know why you chose a fire door, but it is probably the worst possible option. They have a chipboard core, which will turn to mush when its gets wet. Some older ones have a layer of plasterboard, which also turns to mush.

I used a Framed Ledged & Braced Door for my sideway, which is sturdy enough to use as a house door and to take bolts or a mortice lock. The M&T joints have however loosened through 20 years exposure to the weather, so when I do it again, I will put some kind of lintel or board above it to act as a slight roof and reduce rainfall, especially on the back.

If funds are short, you can often get someone's cast-off front door for nothing on Freegle, if you are strong enough to carry it away, or a second-hand front door on ebay from 99p upwards. They do not fetch much because most people want a new one, and can't collect it. Be sure to get a very solid one. Don't use an internal door.

Fit brass or stainless hinges and screws otherwise the hinge pins will rust, seize and break.

I treat my outdoor joinery with water-based Shed And Fence Stain, which allows it to breath and leaves a waxy water-repellent coating. It is cheap and easy to re-apply. I prefer the dark brown one.

The fire door blanks I'm thinking of are solid plywood-type construction, no chipboard, although they will still not like water getting into them I'm sure. Solid timber would be better. The old gate is 'ledged and braced' I haven't seen 'framed, ledged and braced' before (until now), that looks like a good option. I'm aware of using the correct hardware, although it seems for an all-brass construction 5-lever mortise lock I'd be looking at £200 :/ I think a normal lock will have to do! There's wall above the doorway so that should prevent much water getting in from above although I'll need to check the frame detail.

Sponsored Links
I got a roll of bricklayer's DPC which I tack to the top of outdoor timber to protect from rain. I'm sure lead or other metal would be better, but it's cheap and easy.

A mortice lock with closed escutcheons both sides will hopefully not get much rain in it. I've spray-painted the steel case of mine and the levers and most internal parts are brass or stainless (it is an old Chubb, the case is taller than most modern deadlocks, the Detainer range that used to be rather expensive but you often see them on fleabay). A friend has an ordinary mortice lock on her shed and it needs to be cleaned with wire wool and the inside sprayed with WD40 every few years.

The hinges are much more exposed. Look for lift-off hinges, you will find they make it easier to hang the door, but ensure the frame prevents it being lifted when closed, or nail blocks above it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back