Securing a felt backed carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting down a cheap carpet, felt backed as we are going to decorate the house then replace the carpet with a quality one once the house is finished. We will then use it as our underlay for the new one?
The floor down stairs is tile, upstairs chip board I think (it is board, just not sure of type, not the old rectangle ones but square sections) is it ok to stick It down using the spray glue on both?

Sponsored Links
Spray glue will be fine.

you CANNOT use the feltback carpet as an underlay for your nextinstallation though :!: :!: :!:

Just wear thicker socks and slippers until it's ready for the carpet ;)

Sponsored Links
I would, but it could be some time before all is done, heating, wall removal, painting ect, and misses has had enough of echo and noise of no carpet all ready. Is there any major issue why this cheap carpet cannot be the sub layer to the new one, rather than ripping it up, buying underlay and then putting down carpet?

There are genuinely a number of reasons why you should'nt lay carpet on top of carpet, safety being a major concern, damage, premature wear and poor appearance retention of the new carpet being another.

carpet is carpet, Underlay is Underlay, two entirely different products designed to do two entirely different jobs but work together to give the very best results.

There are many different types and styles of underlay, some specific to certain local conditions, and others that will cope differently depending on the style of carpet being fitted.

I can't think of a single carpet fitter or floor layer who would fit carpet over carpet.

I have just done 3 rooms with felt backed carpet.like you this is a temporary carpet while major building work will be going on next year.

I paid £90.00 per 4m x 4m felt backed carpet and glued it down (after trimming) i collected the carpets.

Buy carpet adhesive and a box of 100 stanley blades from screwfix,you can always take back unused adhesive to them if you buy to many.

Although these carpets are not a luxury spongy type,they look nice and do the job.

Carpet as underlay NO.
Clean dust (vaccum floor) prior to laying.

Good luck.

Cheers. Am doing it this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. I have explained to the misses that we can't use it for underlay, but as long as it does us till all work is done it will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back