Securing screw arking against metal lug on backbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that there is some arking going on when I connect The screw against the securing lug inside the back box, Checked the connections going into the 20 amp isolator switch which seem fine and no tripping of the RCD or MCB Just want to ask you guys your thoughts, cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What cables are inside it? is there an Earth connection to the back box?

2 lives and 2 neutrals and 2 earths on the supply side and a live and neutral and earth on the load side supplying a double socket Earth cable is connected to backbox

Have you got a plug in Socket Tester? When this Arced were you holding the screw with bare hands?

Yes I have a matindale plug tester and yes I was holding the screw with my bare hands cheers

Was it a Neon type? What flooring were you standing on? Seems like there must be a potential difference between you and Earth so this could be quite serious. Have any of your Neighbours had problems? Can you plug the socket Tester into a working Socket and see if you have a Neutral connection? Post a photo of it.

Yes it is a neon type, floor type is wooden floor with linoleum (vinyl) cover, no problems with neighbours that my son is aware of it is a flat he lives in, will test the socket and get back to you. Cheers

B7D0F0F8-1197-4FAB-BA5D-C6D16913B60F.jpeg

All sockets in kitchen tested and all ok, if it is voltage leaking to earth would you think it is leaking from the neutral side as I would have thought if it was on the live side it would be a dead short and both rcd and mcb would trip?

Is it a metal accessory? Have you a multi meter ?
Apart from plastic plate light switches, i think all plastic accessories seem to have metal surrounds around the screw holes, connected to the accessories earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back