Securing screw arking against metal lug on backbox

I think by arcing, he means he is getting the neon screwdriver to light up, when in contact with the screws of the plate. That suggests to me, that there is voltage on the earth of the metal box.

Sponsored Links
When you were putting the screw through between the isolation switch and galvy box ,was the circuit not isolated ? This switch feeds a socket ,when tester is plugged into it ,what does tester show ( or is that pic above the socket in question )?

When I was putting the faceplate back on I did not have it isolated at the time, Yes this is the socket next to the isolator cheers

Sponsored Links
Did you stop when you saw the arcing, or is it now screwed up (and working)?

Is this circuit definitely protected by the RCD? I.e. if you press the RCD test button, does this socket lose power?

Please post pictures of the wiring. (Best to turn power off first.)

No all secure now a fully working, when rcd pressed socket is dead so rcd working fine thanks for your post

When you saw the arcing, was anything plugged in to the socket?

Washing machine, it was the 20 amp isolator Back box where The arking occurred which feeds a double socket which the washing machine was plugged into

Did you stop when you saw the arcing, or is it now screwed up (and working)?

Is this circuit definitely protected by the RCD? I.e. if you press the RCD test button, does this socket lose power?

Please post pictures of the wiring. (Best to turn power off first.)
Will try and get some pictures of it tomorrow when I am over thanks

Would be interesting to know if it still happens with the washing machine unplugged.

You do need to get to the bottom of this - it could be a symptom of a quite serious fault.

Yes totally agree will try and isolate the washing machine and see if it still happens

Issue sorted, fault was in the washing machine which was connected to circuit, machine removed and no issue now, many thanks guys for your input

No!

The washing machine may indeed be faulty, but:
1. The RCD should have tripped.
2. You should not have seen arcing at the screw - there should have been an earth wire for the fault current to flow along.

Please post pictures of the switch wiring. My guess is that you have the earth wires connected wrongly.

Edit: and please let us know how you know that the washing machine is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back