Securing Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks -Im just about to install my new shower tray - a 1200 x 900 quadrant with flat base . Will the ordinary all purpose silicone sealant from b+q be o.k. , also , how many tubes would you expect to use on a flat wooden floor .
Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
You don't normally attach a shower tray to the floor using silicone sealant! A bed of sand/cement mortar or, even better, a quality floor tile adhesive, will be up to the job. I assume this is not a plastic tray?

No , its stone resin - should have pointed out , its sitting on top of floor tiles - not wood - whats the best material to fix it down with ?

As already stated - normally bedded on mortar, which allows a degree of play to get it exactly level.

Are the tiles already down? If so, how do you intend to connect the wastepipe?

Sponsored Links
I recently fitted one on a bed of sand cement 5:1 mix. Old one cracked - was put in on Silicon...

no , tiles not down yet .

So - mortar it is then - would you use silicone for between the vertical edges of the tray and the walls - to form a waterproof seal . :)

no , tiles not down yet .

So - mortar it is then - would you use silicone for between the vertical edges of the tray and the walls - to form a waterproof seal . :)
Absolutely, an essential part of the process.

I tend to use a wet mix of mortar, ridged (like bricklaying) to allow for adjustments when tapping down to get level along both planes, You may find it useful to use wedges of wood to support the edges of the exposed face. Since you're going to tile, make sure that you leave 10-15mm gap under the exposed rim to allow you to tuck tiles under, which will be uselful since cutting neat curves in floor tiles can be quite onerous.

Finally, out of idle curiousity, you wouldn't happen to be a maths teacher who works in Bolton, would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back