security light + strobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install a security light at the bottom of my garden, facing into the less-than-secure field next door. Ideally I'd like to install a standard security floodlight like this plus a blue strobe like this to try to scare the b*ggers away.

I've installed plenty of security lights in my time, but I'm trying to work out how to set up the strobe so that it comes on whenever the light does. I'm assuming a standalone PIR with one feed to the light and one to the strobe, but any advice on setup and transformer for the strobe?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you are correct in your assumptions & the only thing you will need to be careful about is how you get the supply to the fittings(means of isolation? type of cable? under ground?surface mounted on fencing?) I would have thought that a lighting transformer in a suitable enclosure would have been adequate for your requirements.

Thanks. Supply won't be a problem as the installation will be right next to my shed, which already has power (so just a minimum of exterior cable, which I'll run in suitable conduit).

The transformer could easily be inside the shed to make things easier - but what I'm struggling with is the type of transformer I need :confused:

and you think fitting a blue strobe will scare anybody?

they will all come to watch (or laugh)

you forget, since you will have a floodlight on, how will any one see the strobe, since the flood light will be much brighter

still, if you must.

get this and connect your strobe to it and connect its supply to the fllodlight

a better idea

this and this and the this

the 2nd option is easier.

I suggested the stand alone power supply as it gives 13volts dc and can be wired in.

where as a wall wart will need a socket to be wired in then plugged into the socket

Sponsored Links
No, I don't think it will scare anyone - but it will attract the intention of the interfering old bag across the field, who's enough to scare anyone (trust me).
So I was just looking at ways to beef up the deterrent effect of a floodlight. Fair point about visibility - I'll have another think.
Thanks for the links.

Just to underline the above. The strobe requires 12v DC. So you need a regulated power supply.
12v Lighting transformers wont do the job.#

Taylortwocities said:
Just to underline the above. The strobe requires 12v DC. So you need a regulated power supply.
12v Lighting transformers wont do the job.#

Rip an old computer to bits ....... ya'll get 12v outta that, Twill be in a pretty metal box too)

John M said:
Rip an old computer to bits ....... ya'll get 12v outta that, Twill be in a pretty metal box too)

But you may also have to put a load on the 5volt supply to keep the power supply working normally, Almost all the power supplies found in personal computers be loaded above a certain minimum load otherwise they go un-stable.

Went ahead with the strobe plan in the end.

* This strobe sits on top of a 3m pole, powered by this 12v adapter plugged into a socket in the adjacent shed, which is fed by the switched live from this standalone PIR.
* This security light sits at about 2.5m up the pole (with the standalone PIR alongside it, so that neither PIR is obscured).

The strobe PIR is set to cover the widest area and stay on for the longest time. So, if someone approaches the area, the strobe will switch on long before the light - and if I know most of the little gits around here, they are lazy enough for that to put them off and find another target.
If not, and they get closer, the security light will switch on as an additional deterrent. Not going to stop the most determined little git, of course, but hopefully it'll help.
Strobe idea might sound odd, but in this context it's just what's needed (e.g. the line of sight means I (or one of my neighbours) will see the strobe better that the light).
Dummy security camera to follow, as breezer suggested.

Amazing how an attempted break-in can focus the mind ... :eek:

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back