Seeking advice on cost effective scaffold options

Sponsored Links
Things do wear. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276368775954

So long as you can see and touch what you are buying, it might be alright. Without experience, you may not be able to tell even if there is a problem.

It all depends on how much the job is worth to you. On a 5k job, paying 1.5k for a tower maybe acceptable because you still end up saving money.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have one of the steel H shaped ones and find it fine, had it about 27 years and have looked after it, never bashed it to undo it, it was painted when I brought it and have always kept it out of the elements and regularly make shure that the narrower bit that slots in is kept rust free as that bit has no paint. Easily get up to guttering height on a 60s semi. To reach the gutter I only have to build it to 5 foot or so under under it. I have extra scaffold boards that I but in various places which serve almost as a stair case. I leave 1 board out at the top and climb through it then put it back when up there but for a lot of work I have some boards below that I stand on and a couple behind me higher up for tools ect, or sit on the higher one with my feet dangling just above the lower one.
I find it quite stable but I had some builders in once and they had one the same that was bashed almost flat in places and when up it and WOW that was as wobbley as "F"

Always hide your aluminum tower under shelter.
if I did that, in the exposed location I'm in, it would be in the neighbouring farm in no time at all. All rustable parts are kept well greased. All wooden parts are marine grade and can cope with it..

I have one of the steel H shaped ones and find it fine, had it about 27 years and have looked after it, never bashed it
Me too, bought a load secondhand, bashed.. straightened it out and it's good, til people borrow it and hammer it apart then it comes back ruined

Used some to make a tower for atop my forklift; get nearly a work height now

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The problem with the steel H ones is that to take them apart you have to lift the section exactly square otherwise it gets stuck.
One of my H sections I believe was not to factory spec - something is slightly off and although it goes in ok I know it will be awkward getting it out so I have marked that one so on short low builds I don't use it or on bigger builds I use it at the bottom because its a lot easier to struggle with it on the ground than in is 4m up (y)

I often lie my H tower down to take it apart. I also made a set of levers so I can push both sides simultaneously..

..but it hasn't had much of a look in compared to the boss tower. Oh, though I do have a set of H permanently set up that I've made an adapter for for the fork lift tines, so I can get a 10m working height out of the forklift. Think that fork truck might well be one of the most useful things I ever bought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back