Seeking advice on cost effective scaffold options

I have one of those steel ones, strictly for first floor access only in my case. Fortunately I own my own set of scaffolding, currently in use for building an extension and replacing my roof ... Living on a main road I do get plenty of feedback from passing scaffolders vans - usually along the the lines of "what the **** is that?", or "who the **** put that up?"
Reading this made me laugh out loud, I think it's because I'm picturing it happening :)

Sponsored Links
Googling it, the cost of proper scaffolding being put up is supposedly around £900 for a week.

Where do you get £900 a weeks from?

I am a decorator and always use scaffolding for 2+ story exteriors. I am London based and can get a single lift scaffolding to reach the guttering on a 6m terraced house for £300 (cash).

Most of my exterior work is following a brick pointer that obviously needs scaffolding. He pays cash, and has the scaffolding for up to 2 months. Back and front of a terraced house, again single lifts, will cost him £600.

Last year, I made the mistake of ringing the first advert I found on Google the guy phoned me back and quoted £700 ex VAT. I spoke to mates who went on to recommend a bloke that charged me £250 cash.

I bought steel version , £160 for roof height 6x4. When finished sold it on for £120 , so £40 for 3 years use .

A few year ago a mate got me to paint his front elevation using those cheap steel ones. I was horrible to work on and swayed a lot. By the time I had carried up my dust extractor, I had little spare room on the platform. I hope to never work on one again.

I ended up having to finish parts of the job off a ladder. I can't seamlessly paint a 5m window sill using a tower then needs to moved 3 times.

That said, I can see that they are ideal for for some jobs.

Where do you get £900 a weeks from?

I am a decorator and always use scaffolding for 2+ story exteriors. I am London based and can get a single lift scaffolding to reach the guttering on a 6m terraced house for £300 (cash).

Most of my exterior work is following a brick pointer that obviously needs scaffolding. He pays cash, and has the scaffolding for up to 2 months. Back and front of a terraced house, again single lifts, will cost him £600.

Last year, I made the mistake of ringing the first advert I found on Google the guy phoned me back and quoted £700 ex VAT. I spoke to mates who went on to recommend a bloke that charged me £250 cash.
Can you pass me that contact please via pm.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to revive this old thread I posted last year, but I never got around to the job.

Reading through the thread it sounds like I want a tower, something better than a ragged old steel or aluminium one, 1.8m width. I’m thinking I’ll buy one second hand, use it to get all my jobs done this spring/summer and sell it on later, so it won’t cost loads. What exactly am I looking for on eBay/Marketplace, and what should I be prepared to pay?

Well options are steel or aluminium so if you don’t want to use them you are left with Bamboo.

1709842923364.jpeg

Ha! I got that wrong. What is the better option out of steel or aluminium?
Aluminium; you can leave it up all year and it won't have rusted together

Avoid the steel H shaped scaffold like the plague; seems everyone who owns it ends up using a hammer to beat it together (or apart) which distorts the pipe being beaten, bending it and pulling the connectors out of alignment, meaning they then beat it harder next time. Don't buy any secondhand stuff that's obviously not got circular tubes near the connectors; it's really hard to straighten out so it slots together nicely ever again

1709876516491.png

What exactly am I looking for on eBay/Marketplace, and what should I be prepared to pay?
I was quite fortunate to pick up an entire youngman boss 8m alu tower with 6 boards and legs 10 years ago for 700 quid; even if I sold it for half that it would have been incredible value over the years, but looking at current prices I could probably sell it for more than I paid

EBay item 166634148229 for example; wider variations exist with longer cross bracing poles. Probably plenty of yt videos on how to erect but to get started you clamp a pole onto the vertical tube of one H, then onto the other, then you can fit the other poles onto the horizontal tubes, keeping triangles as you go up. Always put the laddered H on the same side, put the trapdoor boards next to the ladder and only ever climb the inside of the tower (stable)

The more time you spend up them the more you get used to the swaying in the wind. Eventually you don't notice. If you get scared by it and come down shortly after you go up you never reach that point where you can deal with it. Start low and work up

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll bear all this in mind. Is there a particular scaffold set/tower I should be looking for if my diver is around 600?

Maybe their industrial range will work? The trade range hasn't fine adjustment for the castors. Shimming is possible but a hassle. Don't use the castors for moving or the tower could fall on your head, and crash into the neighbour's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back