seeping bricks!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks, and happy new year

My family has recently had a new garage built by a local builder, but now the wet weather has arrived we find that the red bricks on the exposed side of the garage are letting through an awful lot of moisture, so much in fact that its dripping down and dampening the lovely new bench I made. Now the builder coated the block wall on the sheltered side with a weather proofing spray, but not the red brick wall in any way. Could the water be seeping through the mortar, and should the builder have mixed a water proofing agent like medusa with the cement? I just want to get my facts straight before we talk to the builder. I mean, one of the things my dad said to him was "I want a dry garage" but it's anything but dry.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance of brickwork, I'm more knowledgable on metalwork :)

Sponsored Links
Is it a single skin or brick and block construction with a cavity.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, It's a single thickness of brick with no cavity.

Ahhh well there you go then, 4" against driving incessant rain, no contest.
You could always render with a waterproofer additive.

Sponsored Links
Fudge!. :cry:

So this waterproofer additive, is it something that we can spray onto the brickwork? Would that be similar to the stuff he sprayed onto the cinderblock walls when he built them, or does it have to be applied during building?

cheers

Warehousewomble said:
does it have to be applied during building?
Yes, it's a liquid additive to mortar, available from most building merchants

See this for one of many brands.

Cheers Masona, I've bookmarked that site for further drooling :evil:

I see that stuff is suitbale for pointing. Do you think it might sort the problem If I raked out half an inch depth of mortar from the joints and repointed with cement made using the additive? Or does it have to be through the entire mortar mix?

Could it be the bricks themselves rather than the mortar that is letting the water through? I mean bricks are porous aren't they?

A guy at work said I should try a ronseal masonry weatherproofer. Have you guys had any dealings with this stuff and know if its any good?

thank for all the feedback

Warehousewomble said:
I see that stuff is suitbale for pointing. Do you think it might sort the problem If I raked out half an inch depth of mortar from the joints and repointed with cement made using the additive? Or does it have to be through the entire mortar mix?
As legs-akimbo said best to render the whole wall instead of just repointing because your bricks are porous and a single skin wall.
Warehousewomble said:
Could it be the bricks themselves rather than the mortar that is letting the water through? I mean bricks are porous aren't they?
Common or engineer brick are good for a single wall as they are less porous. It can comes through bad pointing but I would've thought a awful lot of rain for it to seeps through the brick unless they are really porous. Can you see where the rain getting in ?
Warehousewomble said:
A guy at work said I should try a ronseal masonry weatherproofer. Have you guys had any dealings with this stuff and know if its any good?
I don't do much rendering now, legs-akimbo will know more about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back