Leaking garage wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a garage attached to the house, on one side rain water is seeping through at ground level below the DPC! it's not pouring in or nothing, just damp patch all along the bottom of the inside wall!

What is the best to sort this out? I have heard of water proof stuff you can paint bricks with, any good for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, well two red brick high! it's not rising it just dmap on the floor level as the garage floor is the same level as the outside! (not sure if this is how it should be?

Can you see the dpc inside the garage, if so how far is the dpc level to the garage floor level?

Sponsored Links
Yes I can see it, it's two red bricks up from the floor, same as the outside!

outside floor level and garage floor level are the same!

Okay, it's not done properly you can either improve the outside drainage or raise the floor by adding concrete on top of the damp proof membrane and past your dpc. I don't know the layout of your area, you maybe able to put in a french drain outside or dig down deep to the side of the garage and backfill with pea shingles. The idea of this is to stop the rain/damp entering into your garage wall by taking the water somewhere else. For french drain, see here

Here are some example,
drn059.gif

drn056.gif

Thanks mate, i take it that the inside floor level should always be higher than the DPC?

There is a small concreate slope between the patio slabs and the red brick on the garage wall, i am assuming this strip of concreate has bcome loose and letting the water have contact with the red brick!

Can i use some water replent sealler on the red brick as well?

I think the best idea is the french drain with some shingle, i'll get the disc cutter out :)

deefadog said:
Thanks mate, i take it that the inside floor level should always be higher than the DPC?
No normally level providing the dpm goes up to the dpc to protect the damp coming in.
You can see here that the dpm will stop the water entering inside the building.
dpc06.gif

xs150gb.gif

There is a small concreate slope between the patio slabs and the red brick on the garage wall, i am assuming this strip of concreate has bcome loose and letting the water have contact with the red brick!
Can't say without seeing it.
Can i use some water replent sealler on the red brick as well?
I think it will be pointless as the water could be coming up from the footing
I think the best idea is the french drain with some shingle, i'll get the disc cutter out :)
It will improve it if you do it correctly

When i get home i'll take a picture, should be easier to help me, not that you have'nt of course :)

I got the pics noe (sorry it took so long). I'll upload them later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back