Garage wall leaking :-o

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just noticed the wind (gale) blowing rainwater into the garage, it's coming under a sort of truncated lintel which has been built into the garage back wall about 10 feet up. Beneath the lintel, outside, is a lean-to greenhouse. I suspect the roof of the greenhouse which leans onto the back wall outside is somehow funnelling rain water to a tiny gap between the lintel and the brick work.

Anyway, there's a steady drip-drop splash of icy water dribbling down inside the garage, giving a dreadful odour of damp, and probably undermining the mortar.

Is there anything DIY I can squeeze over the lintel or into the micro gap where the water is seeping through please, even if it is a short term fix, it just ain't healthy having all this water seeping into the garage and down the back wall?

Thanks,

Owen

Sponsored Links
There are a lot of waterproof mastics on the market, as long as you have found were the water is getting in then you can seal it with something like sticks all by everbuild.

There are a lot of waterproof mastics on the market, as long as you have found were the water is getting in then you can seal it with something like sticks all by everbuild.

That's brilliant - thanks! :)

I bought that EvoStick sealant and squeezed it liberally into the gaps in the brickwork. It actually staunched the flow for a day, then the flood gates opened again :(

So I thought I'd better fix up some interior guttering - then I noticed damp was getting elsewhere, actually coming through the brickwork! I always thought that was impossible? Then drilling that guttering up, out came - not brick dust but - wet clay :eek:

dampbrickdust_zpse6a73254.jpg

Here's the door - the guttering isn't connected up yet

leakydoornotes_zpsea260c6e.jpg

Both the door and leaky window are in the southerly wall which is where all this wet weather is blowing up from - the south

leakywindowamplintel_zps1a37bac5.jpg

The rain is seeping into this wall and doing this to the interior:

dampbenchtop_zps87929478.jpg

dampbuckling_zpsc8cb7a42.jpg

window in the southerly wall - that shiny stuff is the clear sealant - rain's just finding a way round it :eek:

rainwatergettingin_zpsc0400a69.jpg

leakywindow_zps1132cedb.jpg

This shows the exterior south wall - it looks saturated - like a blinkin sponge :cry:

wetexteriorwestwall_zps4c078998.jpg

any ideas please?

can i seal this wall in the spring with waterproof paint (they would have used tar in the old days) - ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I only said the sealant would work if you knew were the water was getting in! not that it would stop water getting out once its in. You could try waterproofing the wall or cladding but I would make sure its not a roofing issue first.

Yep, I was certain it was coming in under the lintel - well some of it was - but apparently there's a new air brick on the market, it's called a water brick :eek: anyway, i guess i need to wait for some decent weather to dry the wall out before i start slapping on sealant paint?

Never encountered bricks that go soggy in the wet though - is this common please?

Have checked the floor (for damp) and shone a light up into the eves - can't see any sign of the rain getting in, through the roof - touch wood.

Thanks again

l

Never encountered bricks that go soggy in the wet though - is this common please?
Rain can be driven through most types of bricks, although it usually gets through the cross joints first.

l

Rain can be driven through most types of bricks, although it usually gets through the cross joints first.

Thanks, I will have to get up over where the worst of the damp wall is, over the eaves, and check the roof for leaks. Unfortunately, that's where the work room has been installed, so fiddly to see what's going on up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back