Damp garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem concerns a newly laid base for a timber garage, as attached diagram.

The garage base just inside the brick course is damp, which I assume is water soaking through the mortar underneath the brick course.

A solution suggested to me is to waterproof the base outside the garage, between the brick course and the retaining wall, the outside of the brick course itself and the inside of the retaining wall up to one brick height, e.g. with Thompson Weatherseal - as the right hand diagram. The back of the garage is inaccessible, so the gap between the retaining wall and garage wall has recently been sealed to prevent rainwater getting down there. The base inside the garage at the back is still damp, which I hope is simply because it hasn't had time to dry between the last rain soaking and the gap being sealed.

I hope that isn't too rambling. If anybody can confirm that the solution suggested to me is sensuble, or has a better idea, I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back