Garage Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace my old pre-fab garage. I would like a new garage which is single skinned, brick up to window level then block and wet dashed above (similar to my house), I had a builder around and he suggested that whilst the block and dash would be water tight and well sealed, the single skin brick would be quite porous and the garage would become damp very quickly.

Whilst the garage is never going to be a living space, I do want it to be dry inside, the builder suggested block and dashing the whole garage - for asthetic reasons Im not so keen.

My questions.....
1) Can I get a 9 inch wall built (double skin with small cavity - no insulation gap) up to window level and then have a single skin of blocks laid on top - thus provide the look i want and the weather proofing my builder recommends? I clearly want to maximise space in the garage and keep costs down whilst looking good!
2) Any other suggestions on how to achieve the brick and wet dash configuration in a cheap way (2 of the 4 walls will not be visible)?
3) Can you mix single skins and cavity walls on the same build?

Im new to this site, but cant find any other threads on this subject...sorry if this is covered somewhere else.
Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back