seized radiator bleed screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

A couple of my rads have seized bleed screws. The square heads seem to have been rounded off. To make things worse they are facing the wall so access is limited.

I would like to be able to free them up so i can replace them. Any ideas without taking the rad off?

Thanks stu.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Barlo rads, with the bleeder tapped directly into the rad. Horrible things. Chances are you need new rads.

Thanks for your reply ben.

I was hoping i could get them out somehow without taking the rads off. Maybe i'll take them off, drill and use a stud extractor to try get them out. Or maybe i'll just replace all 8 rads as they are all the same!

I'll take one off in summer and see.

cheers stu

Does your rad key have the square hole recessed slightly. If it does you can try filing the end down so that the square hole comes flush to the end. This may give extra purchase on the nipple. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
I used a very small hex socket set and found that a particular size would grip onto my rounded square bleed screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back