Seized shootbolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small window which is a top opener. It has a middle lever beneath the handle and a sliding bolt either side. One of the sliding bolts has seized in the locked position, and I can’t get to it to undo any screws or even spray it. From the outside I can just manage to get a screwdriver in, but cannot move the bolt. Any ideas as I’m sure I’m not too far from forcing the bolt out.
I have looked at an identical window, to see how much bolt goes in the locking plate, and I can’t be far off of getting the window open with the bolt still in the locked position, but there is no more give on the opposite side of window.
I removed handle and used a longer spindle and molegrips, but that only opens the middle lever and one side of bolt.
Do I need to remove the glass, to make it easier???
Any help please.

Sponsored Links
Removing glass won’t help or give more access. I know that much. Just more jiggery pokery req and you might have to slightly damage window to get it open but you can repair and repaint afterwards.

By the sounds of it , one of the dhootbolts has come adrift from the gearbox , actually quite common. Seeing as you have tried to release it already without removing the glass then the answer is to remove the glass . Reason being is then you can wedge out the side that opens, clear of the frame and the force the stuck side over. Pvc and wood have a lot of movement once that glass is removed. With glass in situ it is acting as a brace, and leaving it in you will run a real risk of breaking it.
I have used the above method many times to free stuck shootbolts , and suspect it will be the actual window lock ' gearbox ' that is at fault

Sponsored Links
All sorted thanks, just waiting for new locking mechanism to arrive, and will attempt to put that in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back