Selecting a temperature controller, which one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is open plan, so a single thermostat will control the whole house, at the moment we are using a Horstmann controller similar to the DRT2 but older model which works well, however it has a 5 day and 2 day program when means every week day is programmed the same.

I now want to program so some days of the week has heating, and other days just frost protection. The Horstmann HSFS1 would fit the bill however I have fitted one of these in my mother house, and it has some faults.

It seems slow to react, with heating set to 19˚C moving it to 21˚C as feeling a little cool it can take 20 minutes before we see the base unit light come on saying it is calling for heat. It is slow enough for the central heating to warm house, without adding another 20 minutes. Also as a free standing unit, we found that it did not always communicate and heating could stick on or off. I have the wiring in my house so RF linking is not required.

The Danfoss TP7001 seems to fit the bill, however the HSFS1 also seems to fit the bill so spec alone means nothing. And we are hitting the £70 mark, so maybe it would be worth fitting a thermostat which can be remotely controlled? I have heard of the Nest and Hive thermostats and it would seem a good idea that before we left my mother’s house to go home we could lift up the heating ready, however although we have fibre optic broadband at home now, since not living there most of the time, we may get rid of it in the future so not sure how Nest and Hive work when there is no broadband in the house?

What I have is an elderly mother (91) who we now live with, about 7 miles from home, and an elderly father-in-law (90) who lives next door but one to my house. I also have issues using the shower at mother’s house she is likely to pop in while we are using it, so idea was to have set days when one of us, goes home for the evening, has a shower and some rest bite before visiting father-in-law and then returning to mothers. So want

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back