SELECTING BREAKDOWN COVER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have been with the RAC for several years and the premium for this year has gone up to £215.

This covers 2 people which includes the following benefits:

Legal cover, Roadside assistance, At Home assistance, Recovery, Onward Travel, Courtesy Car, Battery Replacement, Tyre Replacement, Key replacement, European Breakdown.

Do you think this is a fair price compared to the benefits or should I go elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Although I prefer continuity brand loyalty doesn't count for anything these day I'm afraid.

Any increase in premiums for services such as car/home insurance etc, has me straight on the internet .. play them at their own game. It was organisations jacking up their prices at every opportunity that brought about the existence of comparison websites

If you really want to remain with your current breakdown service, challenge them over the increase. There is plenty of choice out there if you shop around.

Sponsored Links
This may not suit everyone, but I'm with GEM for my old car. With it being a bit old and unusual, I don't really want home start, or anyone to try fixing it at the side of the road, nor do I want towing to a garage (who will be similarly ill-equipped and stuck for parts). I just want it scooping up and taking back to my house, where they can dump it on the drive for me. They do a cheap policy (called "Recovery reclaim") and a more expensive one. With the cheap one, if you need recovering, you have to pay for the recovery and then reclaim it back from GEM. This means you need to have money available for a recovery, but it keeps the premium down. I've only used them once in over 5 years, and when I did, they were very good. The more expensive version works more like a conventional recovery service, where the premium is higher, but you don't have to pay for it first and reclaim. I like it because they have no age limit on the cars, and because I can tell them what I want them to do.

Hi Folks

I have been with the RAC for several years and the premium for this year has gone up to £215.

This covers 2 people which includes the following benefits:

Legal cover, Roadside assistance, At Home assistance, Recovery, Onward Travel, Courtesy Car, Battery Replacement, Tyre Replacement, Key replacement, European Breakdown.

Do you think this is a fair price compared to the benefits or should I go elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.
You can get all that from the AA plus European breakdown and recovery, PLUS annual travel insurance, PLUS mobile phone cover for two people at the same address by opening a Nationwice flex plus bank account. Costs £13 a month or £156 a year.

Careful with breakdown cover provided with bank accounts and similar.

Often has a clause that it will only take you a maximum of 10 miles or to nearest garage. Not good in the middle of the night or if on a special trip

Sponsored Links
Back