Self build… cowboys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post here.
I am building a small bungalow, conversion from farm building. I can’t stress enough that I’m on a tight budget & I’m not a tradesperson, therefore a lot of things are going to be a ‘long term bodge’

My reason for posting this time is regarding electricity, or lack thereof. I don’t have electricity so will be running on solar & generator. My main question is ‘do any of you have solutions for showers’?
I have been looking at the gas showers, but it seems these are mainly suitable for outdoor use. I have seen solar water heaters that cost around £5k which is out of the question.

Please & thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can buy instant gas water heaters, designed for caravan use, used on bottled gas, for showers.

Alternatively, tourer caravans, are often fitted with a low capacity cylinder, again heated by bottled gas (or 240v mains), a 12v pump,+pressure switch pumps water in to pressurise both the H and C water system, from a tank of water - not exactly a deluge, but adequate.

Last edited:
You say you are not a tradesperson so "a lot of things are going to be a 'long term hodge'. Do you mean long term bodge?

Either way, putting semantics aside, any electrical installation, be it mains, generator, solar, wind power or whatever, MUST comply with the current electrical regulations, be tested and inspected and, finally, signed off by a competent person. Anyone who signs it off is, effectively, stating they designed and installed it to be compliant with the latest regulations. Usually, this person is a qualified electrician with the appropriate qualifications and may be a member of a relevant scheme that allows him to do this. Something like this doesn't come cheap and if it is 'hodged' up, (to use your phrase), and it goes wrong, it will be even more expensive.

We've go one of the portable gas showers at our off grid place. It works well. Plenty of heat output. It does need to be used in a ventilated space. Not a problem for us as its in an outhouse, but probably not a great long term solution. I have seen them mounted in an external cupboard then plumbed through the wall so the shower is properly internal keeping the boiler well ventilated. Again not ideal long term but will work medium term giving you time to save for a better solution or maybe find something second hand.

Sponsored Links
A really cheap solution, would be one of those pump up garden spray bottles, a tray, and a wrap around shower curtain. Fill the bottle with water of the correct temperature, pump up the pressure, and away you go. You don't necessarily need the water quantity, most imagine is needed, for a thorough shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back