What is "self build"?

Dare say you've done well then. I once thought building would be cheap.. In the next town over I've a plot that was 30k and I've spent maybe 25k putting a 1100 sqft shell on it (just wind n water tight, no internal fit out) all myself.
Paused that project to make way for the current undertaking, a 4500sqft conversion on a half acre plot that was 100k to start with.. Spent about 200k so far and I'm still a way off finished though its habitable. Bit of a jump in price though, and I now know what big money is in terms of a personal endeavour. Sometimes struggle, having had my perspective set by earlier projects that were relatively cheap, why this latest one ended up so damn expensive. Thing is, I don't think I'd have done anyhing really that much differently, nor do I see where I could have reduced the cost to half/a third of its current value other than swapping in really cheap n nasty components. I do wonder what other people buy when they come with a report of having built for less than 50/sqft, with the most recent claim I couldn't believe being something like 16/sqft. I've no idea how anyone can buy a plot and build a house on it for that, even doing it solo at a time value of 0..

What was the secret for 32/sqft, using trades?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What was the secret for 32/sqft, using trades?

1. I was the purchaser for everything. No tradesman 'added a margin' on a nail. Challenge the builder's supplier on every price: asking, "Can you do anything on that?", saved a load. Got bitten when I didn't- list price charged.
2. I did menial tasks (timber frame house, I did all the insulation and vapour barrier, jobs like that).
3. Cash jobs from word of mouth tradesmen. Not so easy these days I understand.
4. Read Murray Armour'e book 10 times before starting!
5. Paid nobody in advance ever!

I worked myself to the bone- went daily before and after work (almost pre-mobile, so contact was face to face). The 17 weeks is not a BS line. The pace was frenetic, and adding 2 months to the build wouldn't have killed us, but we had a Christmas deadline.

We (I) was too conservative. Didn't take any risks, and we could have gone slightly bigger; ensuites everywhere etc, but hey ho. The best bit is that 21 years on, my wife absolutely loves it still. I'd love to do another, but that ship has sailed I think.

CG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back