Managing your own building work

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/share-your-diy-projects-with-us-no-queries-please.74081/
OK, so for my next extension I am very tempted to manage it myself, hiring in trade-persons and local businesses for each stage of the build. I'll still get some quotes from builders, but also get quotes from individual companies to see if it really is much cheaper (I've been told it will be, as I won't be paying £500 week management fee).

So, any tips for doing this? So far I have spoken to:
groundworker for foundations and drainage.
got a couple of bricklayers in mind
know a good carpenter for the roof and windows, then the stud walls, etc. and insulation
For plastering - is it best to get a plasterer to also put up the plaster board, or get the carpenter to do that?
I know a good plumber, although he's often very busy!
Need a good sparky (the one I used a few years ago was good, but not spoken since 2013...)
I need to find a roofing company to complete the roof - unless the carpenter will also lay the tiles etc?

Is this pretty much it? My biggest concern at the moment is managing the building inspector - at what point do they need to come in to inspect, and which services will be happy to work to building control sign off, i.e come back to complete the job if building inspector says it needs something extra?

Any suggestions, threads, blog posts, books, stories etc welcome!

Of course, a builder might come along and manage it all for little more than me doing it, so it might not happen. But from my first extension, I know a lot of money was not on materials and labour! Another reason to think about this approach is that I would hope I get a better guarantee with the work (no guarantees with the work I had done before).

Sponsored Links
Hi Jonbey, the building inspector should tell you at the beginning or as you go along, I. e give me a call when the foundations are in, when the steels in place, etc. if you're concerned about building control sign off you could go with a building control approval as opposed to a building notice, then everything's rubber stamped before work even begins and there shouldn't be 'much' need to pull trades back to site. An architectural technician would be able to get the plan information together for you on the cheap, ( as this is what I do!) it's also good for all these different trades to be working to the same drawings - hope this helps! :)

Cheers - yeah, building control approval makes sense, I didn't do this with my loft conversion and it caused problems, as the plans did not include the right amount of wood (builder dealt with it all, and recommended the tech drawer!), but it did cause a 2 week delay that would never have had happened if the building reg plans were all checked and approved beforehand.

My plan is: Do my own PD plans, get the cert. WHen approved, get a local tech to do the building control plans and arrange submission until agreed etc. Then, build!

I'm just in the process of managing an attic conversion and roof rebuild. I've found that the best advice has come from my contact at jewson, the engineer and the guy who drew up the plans. I've read loads of books and I'm piecing it together. The planner has given me all the specifications and ive got loads of practical advice from the others. I can't fault jewson actually my guy is an ex builder and has given me a few tips. My advice to you is get yourself some allies!

Sponsored Links
Good advice. Never been to Jewson, might have to see what my local one is like. Only ever been to B&Q, and people do not have much time there, it seems.
I have watched as an extension and loft conversion was carried out (and asked lots of questions!) and learnt a hell of a lot from all that. When my first building started, I honestly had no idea what was behind my walls or under my floors. Now probably seen most internal and buried parts, so feel I'm mostly ready for the challenge of managing the next one myself. Plus, cannot afford to pay for an all-in service!

Oooh, they really encourage people to get their advice! http://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-you/for-self-builders/

It's a self build account that I have. I've been gradually testing their patience with my questions but in the end they have been paid and I have learnt a lot. I've got two good books, one on attic conversion and one one garage conversion and its given me enough understanding to ask pertinent questions of builders whilst respecting that they know more than me.

Fyi b&q on special offer £2 a concrete block jewson 60p - I've ordered fifteen grand of trusses from them though and I understand prices depend on the customer.

Self managing is always better the second time.

If time is not an issue then crack on. Be aware though, that any time costly errors or delays will hit you in the pocket.

If you're not in a rush and you're happy to do an extension over 9 months then it's fairly easy to take your time shopping around for materials, asking people to come around to quote on the day that you'd have actually preferred for them to start work, ordering materials the day after you actually need them, because none of the lost time really matters. The skill you're buying when you pay a pro to do site management is the foresight for good orchestration, and being well connected helps, in that if he does drop a ball then he can pull in a favour to keep things on track.

It all comes down to: Does your wife like dust?

We had a double extension built in the last year and we used a private building control firm that came when we wanted them and offered solutions to anomalies.
Here are some other points to consider;
1. Get the calculations for any steel work before you start, BC will want to see it (probably)
2. If tiling, include labour costs as well as adhesive and grout plus any trims
3. Make sure the electrician states what makes of sockets etc he is going to use or you could end up with cheap Chinese imports.
4. Plumbing, all copper pipes or plastic or mixture? Upgrade of boiler? What guarantees will he offer?
5. Beware anyone who uses a sub contractor to carry out any works , they may not give a guarantee
6. Plastering, best to let plasterer fix boards and skim and let him do the chases in the wall as well (to a paintable finish.
7. When the electrical work and plumbing is being done , be aware that coving may get damaged as they do their work , who will bear the cost of repair or replacement?
8. Rubbish removal, skips for multi trades or grab lorry?
9. Storage of building materials, enough room and safe?
10. Hire a portaloo, otherwise trades are a nightmare for asking to use your loo
11.keep ALL receipts and user documentation
12. Get both parties to sign receipts for monies paid , that way there can be no misunderstandings
12. Get a good hoover, you are going to need it!!

Mike

The building control bit is not a big deal really, you'll be surprised at how little interest many of them take. Start off on the right foot doing things properly and they will give you a long leash. Start off trying to bodge something or arguing with them and it can be more troublesome.

I think your biggest danger is as noseall said the delays and or overruns and day rates vs fixed costs. An experienced builder knows how much a guy can do in a day and so can budget for the cost of say the roof carpentry at 5 days for 2 men @ £200 a day (just for ease of calculation). So that is £2000. If they are going slowly he has a realistic idea of what they can achieve and so can tell 'you need that finished by the end of the day' etc. As a non builder if you pay them on a day rate and it takes them 7 days because they were a bit slow and perhaps they missed a day because something wasn't ready for them you then you have paid £2800. You also maybe have to keep the scaffolding for another week so pay the extra ££ for that.

The same joiners on fixed price work may have quoted £2500 which initially seems more expensive than the £2000 but after the issues above would be cheaper and less of a headache for you.

Its all of those little differences that an experience builder is better at managing and when you add up all those extra days here and there you quickly see their value.

As others said if you can handle it taking 8 months rather than 6 and give yourself leeway between major trades you will save money. Make a thorough plan with all the details specified extensively with what finishes and materials will be used and then stick to it. This way everyone knows exactly what they are quoting for and there is no confusion for fixed prices.

My "plan" is to get quotes from people for each job, rather than just pay people per day. No idea how that will actually work out though!
My wife does not like dust, but she does accept that self managing it will get us more house for our money. At the end of the day, we want a bigger house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back