Managing a loft conversion - how hard can it be :)

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, we might be doing a loft conversion.

I guess I have two options:

1. Hire a builder to do it all
2. Contract traders to do each part.

I am guessing that I should be able to save money by acting as building contractor / manager?

There is a local builder that actually offers to do just the structural aspect of loft conversions (they say "We can offer a full, comprehensive service from start to finish or can tailor our work to allow you to complete the conversion in your own time."). I also know a guy (my son's friend's dad) who is a carpenter for a builder and I saw two of their houses go up in the summer.

I know a carpenter who does stud walls, floors, and all the trimmings. I used a great window firm last month. I know an electrician and there are several plumbers that I know are all fairly priced (have used two and the other a neighbour has used). They also do full bathroom (en suite) fitting.

All I would need to find is a pasterer. I could paint it myself.

Is that all there is to it?

1. Build new structure (steels, dormer etc.
2. Install windows and make water tight
3. Insulate roof, walls, floor etc (with Celutex board?) - not sure who I would ask to do this bit
4. Studd walls and stairs
5. First fit water and electric
6. Plasterboard and floor (maybe do most floor first, so long as does not interfere with pipes and cables?)
7. Plaster
8. Paint
9. Fit en suite
10. Tile en suite
11. Carpets
12. Bed. Sleep.

Sounds simple. Will reality be a nightmare? I had an extension done in 2013 and the builders charged a lot of cash just for managing the work - I would not have minded if they were not total cowboys.

Sponsored Links
If you take the weight then you take the decisions - i've had six to eight guys (different trades) coming at me one after the other, asking for guidance or a judgement call. Not particularly on loft conversions but as the man to go to during building work.

As the cliche has it, its not brain surgery but a wrong call can sure be expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back