How Hard Is A Loft Conversion DIY Style

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a serious question - How hard is it for a DIY loft conversion if you have friends who can help with some of the labouring work.

Is a single storey extension harder or easier then a loft conversion?

Am I right in thinking that the steps are

1) Structual Engineer
2) Install Steel Beams to SE spec
3) Install dormer from timber pieces
4) Strengthen floor joists
5) Plasterboard
6) Plumbing and electrics

If that was all that was required then I really do think it is possible for a competent DIY person to do

Sponsored Links
Did a small extension out the back then a loft conversion (aside the electrician).

At the time I told the Mrs it wont take as long as the loft is already there and I don't need to build the structure. How wrong I was :

Crawling about in confined spaces, the agony, the dust, the heat, the logistic nightmare at times. Nope! never again. I would build an entire house before attempting that again.

Got a medical at work not long after completing and they said I had the lungs of someone 10 years older!(Non smoker) I did wear a mask but sometimes the heat up there made it feel like I was about to pass out with it on.

BTW : Don't underestimate how long the insulation will take and there tons these days to pass.

There is far more to a loft conversion than "install dormer from timber pieces" and "strengthen floor joists".

Did a small extension out the back then a loft conversion (aside the electrician).

At the time I told the Mrs it wont take as long as the loft is already there and I don't need to build the structure. How wrong I was :

Crawling about in confined spaces, the agony, the dust, the heat, the logistic nightmare at times. Nope! never again. I would build an entire house before attempting that again.

Got a medical at work not long after completing and they said I had the lungs of someone 10 years older!(Non smoker) I did wear a mask but sometimes the heat up there made it feel like I was about to pass out with it on.

BTW : Don't underestimate how long the insulation will take and there tons these days to pass.

Thanks - That is useful

How long did the single storey extension take and how long did the loft take?

Was the loft much harder?

Leaving aside the small space (our loft is huge) was there anything particularly difficult in the loft going in?

Sponsored Links
This is a serious question - How hard is it for a DIY loft conversion if you have friends who can help with some of the labouring work.

Is a single storey extension harder or easier then a loft conversion?

Am I right in thinking that the steps are

1) Structual Engineer
2) Install Steel Beams to SE spec
3) Install dormer from timber pieces
4) Strengthen floor joists
5) Plasterboard
6) Plumbing and electrics

If that was all that was required then I really do think it is possible for a competent DIY person to do

The steps seem about right based on me watching my lofty being made.

I say go for it, no reason why you can't do it. He who dares and all that.

Do post up a photo diary of the job, I'd be fascinated to see it.

Will you make the loft first or the basement extension?

Reading fmck's post sugges tsthat he converted the loft (ie just used the existing roof void) rather than building a dormer. A loft without the dormer is hard enough, but with a dormer.....

Reading fmck's post sugges tsthat he converted the loft (ie just used the existing roof void) rather than building a dormer. A loft without the dormer is hard enough, but with a dormer.....

Why is a dormer that much harder - It is just some wood nailed together to give the shape

Why is a dormer that much harder - It is just some wood nailed together to give the shape

Then you've answered your own question! Have a go.

Then you've answered your own question! Have a go.

I am trying to learn from other peoples mistakes

It seems to me that anyone can call themselves a builder - If someone could "supervise" me and give me pointers along the way I am quite sure I could do this

You don't seem to have a clue, supervising you is not even an option

Yes anyone can call themselves a builder, buy not everyone can be a builder. It's not the same with being called an idiot and being an idiot though

Aussie, do you mind if I ask what you do for a living? Also what your DIY skills are like?

I work in IT - But I have someone who is working for me full time renovating a house.

He is a "buidler" but not someone i would trust to do a loft conversion by himself or with his pals

So I want to understand exactly whats involved and try and get him to do the job

DeludedAussie";p="2769463 said:
So I want to understand exactly whats involved and try and get him to do the job
You are gonna babysit a jobbing handyman through a loft conversion!
Hilarious!

The blind leading the blind doesn't even come close.

On a serious note; the initial stages of a lofty need to be done swiftly so there is no reason why a team of pro's couldn't get you weather-tight then you and your slave pick it up from there.

As someone who plans and specifies extensions and loft conversions I wouldn't ever dare DIYing my own.

I'm fully aware of the depth and breadth of regulations that need to be met, as well as the physical requirements for building additions that are watertight, provide appropriate insulation and well... don't fall down!

There are some things you can cut corners on in life... but there is really no good reason to not get a professional with adequate experience to do a good job.

You wouldn't go to the dentists and give yourself a filling. You wouldn't jump on the underground... and push the tube driver out the way. Anyone can call themselves a dentist, a train driver or a builder... but not everyone has the knowledge or experience to ACTUALLY do the work.

I've had clients that often look for ways to trim the amount of money they spend on extensions. This includes things like trying to micro manage a builder... a client might try to provide lots of items of free issue, but because they dont understand the process and timescales they leave the builder waiting around not working (and wondering why they are still getting charged). In short, trying to save money on build work often ends up costing them more - they just don't realise it.

At the end of the day its not about getting the "cheapest"... its about getting the "best value" for your money.

Just nearly finished mine. Started it in Nov last year and it was a hip roof and built it up to a gable end totaly ripped the roof off and put a new roof on with a full dormer to the rear. Me and my dad and brother did everything exept fit the new stairs. We even lowered all the ceilings on the 1st floor to gain another 9" head room up there. But it was all worth it for 1 big bedroom 1 small bedroom and a bigish bathroom. I just need to fit loads of firedoors to get it all passed by BC.

I have also built a single and double storey extention too and if I had a choice I would pick single storey extention but both are 2 total different jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back