Loft Conversion Floor Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post here and a complete novice in building terminology so apologies if I call things the wrong name :-S

We have a previous loft conversion that we've decided to now improve by putting a dormer window in and as we're extending outwards will have to replace (or extend) the old floor joists to meet the new dormer window.

The basic dormer structure has been installed and waterproofed and we're now in the position to sort the floor out but unsure how to attach the new / extended floor joists to the dormer wall to ensure the building inspector is satisfied.

The front edge of the timber dormer is sitting on the outside wall as you can kind of see in the attached photo and we could do with some guidance as to how to mount a timber beam to then attach the floor joists using hangers. The two steels you can see in the photo will be removed to allow the joists to be extended / replaced as they are now obsolete.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to keep the steels and lose the head room.
If you are removing the steel then just replace the joists with new ones which span the total length.
Your existing joists may not be big enough for the span so you might not be able to extend them however if they are you can bolt on extra joists leaving a good 800-1000mm overlap, if not longer. Your BCO might want SE input on that connection detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back